• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FA-MAS
    [B]So you're saying to

1) Extract the kernel to /usr/src/linux-2.4.18
    Yes.
    [b]
    2) Change to the new kernel directory ("cd /usr/drc/linux-2.4.18")
    First, you should make a sym link called linux that points to the kernel source you want to compile, you might need to rename the stock kernel from linux to linux-2.4.5 first and then do "ln -s linux-2.4.18 linux" to create the link.
    [b]
    3) "make mrproper" This will clear the source tree
    Only do this in a kernel source that you've already made a kernel from, not needed for a fresh source.
    [b]
    4) Copy the config from my previous working kernel (for a stock slack kernel do "cp linux-2.4.5/.config linux-2.4.18/.config")
    Yes.
    [b]
    5) "make menuconfig" This should pick up how I had my previous kernel setup. And I don't want to change anything if that's the case. So I just exit and let it save the kernel.
    Yes.
    [b]
    6)make dep
    6a) make clean
    7) make bzImage
    Don't forget you can do "make install" in slack with a properly prepared lilo.conf
    [b]
    8) make modules
    9) make modules_install

and then re-boot

I'm gonna try now
    ICQ me if you need more in depth info.
    p-two.net

Comment

Still those unresolved symbols. Here's what I'm gonna do. I'm gonna re-install from scratch. Just so that I have a clean install. It will be using kernel 2.4.5. Then I'll ICQ you and maybe you would help me walkthough it?

Comment

Go for it :)
        p-two.net

Comment

w00t! I fianlly got it the way I want. Here's what I did. All logged in as root.

1. went to kernel.org and got the full source
          2. cd to /usr/src, removed the linux symlink
          3. Extract the kernel to /usr/src/linux-2.4.18
          4. Re-created the symlink pointing linux to linux-2.4.18/
          5. Went to ftp.slackware.com and downloaded the .config file for their bare.i bootdisk based off of kernel 2.4.18 <--this was my edit, it said 2.5.18

6. Copied the .config to the new kernel tree
          7. Ran "make oldconfig", It ran through clean because the slackware creator had already set it up the way I wanted

7. Ran "make dep"
          8. Ran "make clean"
          9. Ran "make bzImage"
          10. Ran "make install", of course I edited my lilo.conf. I can boot both kernels now.

11. Ran "make modules"
          12. Ran "make modules_install"
          13. Re-booted

And it didn't blow up and is working for me flawlessly.

Comment

Don't you just love it when a plan comes together :)
            p-two.net

Comment

Yes, I do. My next goal is to run "make menuconfig" and write down every single option that is in there, and then determine what they are, and include or exclude them. And of course write document for reference.

Thanks and later.

Comment

The kde control center has a kernel config front end under System---->Linux Kernel Configurator, when you click on an option it displays the help message for that option.
                p-two.net

Comment

I don't have kde yet, which brings me to my next question. What version do you think I should install?

Comment

Kde3 is the latest, you'll need qt3 as well, just grab the slackware 8 packages from your nearest kde mirror.
                    p-two.net

Comment

Working...
                    X