Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• installation problem

hi!

I just found in my garage an old olivetti pcs 5130! a really old pc ( pentium 100Mhz -wow! that's fast!- 8Mb of ram (can't even install win98SE...can you believe that! and at last a 1Mb video controller and 830Mb HD)

So I said to myself: why don't i install freebsd? I've got freebsd 5 on cd ,but when I try to boot from the cd an error message appears ( sh1t! ) :evil: .... it says: Read Error: 0x01
    Could not find Primary Volume Descriptor

so i googled a little and found out that it's a problem with some floopy emulation mode that the new freebsd does not support.... desperately i looked for some answeres! and here i am....

is there anything I can do?
    and if I'm damned , at least where can I find an older version of freebsd ( like 4.9 or something ) or maybe another similar os that would work on my pc?

thanks

mad_alfred

no wait.... i think i' almost there.... Ive used fdimage to copy the kern and mfsroot files and now sys is booting... miracle!!!

Comment

Damn Alfredo;

The last time i heard of Olivetti, was my colllege typewriter and i was driving
      a Fiat bertone. The laughter you create in my soul is a riot of youth, capishe?
      Happiness isn't something you experience; it's something you recall.

Comment

it was my first pc.... it used to be fast.... anyway I just want to get it working...that's all.... I wanna see my baby reborn!! :D

now i'm gonna focus on that win95 setup... thank's 4 the suggestion!! gona try it immediately!!

Comment

now... I've been working on this a while and jumped to the conclusion that freebsd5 install was hopeless.... or at least very hard: so here is what i did:

-write kern.flp and mfsroot.flp to fd with fdimage
          -boot from the "kern" floppy... btx loader works! yeehaa!!
          -insert second floppy ( mfsroot) and wait...at a certain point... whet I'm asked to boot the kernel ( actually it asks me to press enter to boot immediately or whait or press any other key for command prompt ).
          after something like 10 sec system hangs and not even ctrl+alt+del work...need to press power button!

then I tryed an older version of freebsd... it's the 4.9 which still boots from cd with older computers. so downloaded the .iso image and burnt it with nero. now, when i boot from cd i receive an error message which is the one in the pic ( too lazy to write down the whole thing!)

ps that thing you see in the back ground is supposed to be my body... no shirt yep it's hot here 27C...in the morning!

Comment

Originally posted by mad_alfred
            now... I've been working on this a while and jumped to the conclusion that freebsd5 install was hopeless.... or at least very hard: so here is what i did:

-write kern.flp and mfsroot.flp to fd with fdimage
            -boot from the "kern" floppy... btx loader works! yeehaa!!
            -insert second floppy ( mfsroot) and wait...at a certain point... whet I'm asked to boot the kernel ( actually it asks me to press enter to boot immediately or whait or press any other key for command prompt ).
            after something like 10 sec system hangs and not even ctrl+alt+del work...need to press power button!

then I tryed an older version of freebsd... it's the 4.9 which still boots from cd with older computers. so downloaded the .iso image and burnt it with nero. now, when i boot from cd i receive an error message which is the one in the pic ( too lazy to write down the whole thing!)

ps that thing you see in the back ground is supposed to be my body... no shirt yep it's hot here 27C...in the morning!
            sorry but i didn't know you can't view pictures in this forum... something must be wrong!

ok here's the message

EDO DRAM Presente
            Uncompressing ... done

BTX loader 1.00 BTX version is 1.01
            Console: internal video/keyboard

int=0000000d err=00000000 efl=00030287 eip=0000ffff
            eax=0000ffff ebx=000055aa ecx=00004f12 edx=00000000
            esi=0000003d edi=00000000 ebp=00000002 esp=0000fffc
            cs=f000 ds=00fc es=3149 fs=0000 gs=0000 ss=9e7c
            cs:eip=00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00-00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
            ss:esp=ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff - ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
            BTX halted

Comment

Yeah, I was having a similar problem just now with an old 486SX :P So downloading 4.10 and maybe some good will come from it, but who knows.

Comment

Working...
              X