Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Error message -video card drivers

Cheers,
    I'm getting an error message when I try to restart my X-Server after I install NVIDIA Video card drivers. Now firstly let me say that I have previously installed the said drivers (5336) with THIS distribution (Fedora core 1) on THIS computer, but tried other distro's before reinstalling Fedora. Hardware was unchanged,from first installation to re-installation, however now I've added a DVD-ROM and changed to a LOGITECH Optical mouse.
    The error message is the same(before and after hardware changes), it reads

(EE) Failed to load module "NVIDIA"
    (module does not exist,0)
    (EE) no drivers available
    Fatal server error
    No screens found

It then starts X with generic drivers.
    Now, I'm sure I'm doing this correctly, booting to run level 3, installing drivers ( I get confirmation that drivers installed), editing config file accordingly, rebooting to runlevel 5, but this is where it falls down. I've even tried downloading the same drivers again and trying that but I still get the same message. With earlier drivers I get a message that alludes to not being suitable for the kernel or aomething like that.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    AMD XP-1800+
    256 MB DDR-RAM
    4O GIG HD
    24x10x40CDRW
    GeForce 4 MX 440

Boot back to runlevel 3 and chack to see if the nvidia module is loading correctly with "lsmod" (as root), if its not listed load it with "modprobe nvidia", then do "startx" and note any error messages, look in /var/log/XFree96.0.log for more verbose error messages.
    p-two.net

Comment

Thanx, I'll try that, might take a while, big party this weekend, lotsa stuff to organise.

Comment

Working...
      X