Why should i install Linux?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why should i install Linux?

Hey people i have a new hard drive which will give me enough space to install linux - ive heard so many people doing it but why do you think i should do it :D cheers for the info before hand dudes.

Ta Ta Mr Scruff

why not try it just for hell of it?

Comment

I'm trying to get fedora core 2 working and its proving to be a task :oops: extremlky frustrating :?

Comment

At first i installed it for the hell of it and because it came with a mag (redhat 6 i think it was), didn't really like it so i dumped it.
        Then about two years ago, i got the urge to try it again, this time jumping straight into the deep end by installing slackware, and i've been using it more and more ever since.
        As of a few days ago, i've decided to make an effort to make it my primary OS :)
        TweakTown SETI@home Team

Comment

If you're not into gaming or professional photo/video editing, I can't think of a good reason not to install Linux. It isn't hard (RedHat 9.0 is about as easy as XP, if you know much about computers others aren't hard), and it doesn't come with the problems of Windows (viruses, activex spyware, blue screens, I don't have all day I'll stop). You don't need it for any particular reason, but most feel it is much nicer in general without needing to do any tweaking that you might have to with Windows. It's a rather large download for any popular distrobution, but it's worth the time (and it's free).

Comment

My first time was Mandrake Linux 9 Dolphin Edition. Just like Andy I got it off from a magazine. Got pissed cuz I hade a dial up modem back then( a winmodem that is)obviosly not supported. Now I have broadband and installed Suse Linux 9 that I got from a friend. He gave it to me with the WineX rack. If you have WineX you can still play many games(Warcraft for example, plays very smoothly). Some performance is lost on the way, still good enough. Sadly, I had to reformat my hdd since linux kernel previous than 2.6 does not allow resizing of the ntfs partitions and I needed Windows for some school business (SPSS).

Skipping my life story, I suggest u install linux if you have broadband and most of your hardware supported. Since there is no other way you are going to get software that is not included in your distro previously. Good Luck with your installation. :D

Comment

Why install Linux?
              You owe it to yourself just to see what's available if for no other reason.

Better yet!
              Why don't you just DL Knoppix .iso and run Knoppix Linux right from the CD.
              I think it'll give you a nice taste of what is going on with Linux.
              Once you've wet your whistle, I think you will likely want to try a fuller version.
              Truth is, you can do quite a lot with Knoppix itself.

The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

differing from the popular word here, i would not try Linux just "for the hell of it". please don't try it just cos some one said it is cool.
                if you want to get rid of all those AdAware, Spybot, Antivirus scans, cleaning cookies, cleaning registry, defragging hard disks, running chkdsk, doing all the tweaking and just want to have peaceful life then use Linux. But!!! there is a catch. since Linux is a new OS for you, it obviously expects a fair chance from you. don't just try it for a day or two and say "oh well, i didn't like it". you will be left frustrated and dejected if you try Linux "just for the hell of it". Linux doesn't like users who don't like reading man pages and searching on google for linux "http://www.google.com/linux". if you want a stable and rock solid OS which does not expect much once you have settled it properly, then go for Linux.
                CAUTION: Being a Linux user is addictive.
                Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
                Last Updated:
                10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
                ======================
                jabber : [email protected]
                =======================
                Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
                yabaa dabaa doo...
                Customized for 1024x768

Comment

SO linux is addictive.

I know the very basics,login, ls -l and that.

Who the hell do I load drivers. ?

BTW i have just got into macs and i'm starting to hate windows.

333m eu fine ACE>

Comment

to load kernel modules (which could be drivers) you type:
                    modprobe <module_name>.o

However, the modules for all your hardware might not be on your system, to install them you'll need to recompile the kernel,This might be a little to advanced for you right now, but when you recompile the kernel, its like enabling the drivers for your hardware. Have a search in the forums over here, they've definately helped me!
                    TweakTown SETI@home Team

Comment

When I first installed Linux My palms were sweaty with the anticipatioin of an all nighter just to get the thing up and running...but then I clicked,"Yes install now." :twisted:

Comment

Working...
                      X