Linux download sites

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux download sites

Let me first start off by saying i know jack about linux..

With that said, does anyone know of any good download sites? I use www.download.com for windows but im not sure they offer linux programs too.

Im looking for shareware, freeware, games, whatever...

what extensions should i be looking for? Im just assuming that linux doesnt use .exe's or .zip's. So what is used instead? man...i feel stupid.

freshmeat.net

extensions: .gz .bz2 .rpm

Comment

If you get your Gentoo install up and running you wont need to go searching the web for new software :thumb: Just emerge <packagename> and Gentoo will install it for you. Also, emerge -s <search term> lets you search for packages :cheers:

Comment

you've already found the Linux Links thread, you'll find a lot of useful stuff there

Comment

Also, check out and see if your ISP runs a public FTP server. A lot of them do, and some will offer various distros of Linux.

Comment

This website is for sale! linuxiso.org is your first and best source for information about linuxiso. Here you will also find topics relating to issues of general interest. We hope you find what you are looking for!

Comment

Is there a reason no one mentioned SourceForge?:rolleyes2
              Not entirely for Linux but that doesn't matter. Most Linux distros come with (and are) pretty good freeware, anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Yawgm0th
                Is there a reason no one mentioned SourceForge?:rolleyes2
                Not entirely for Linux but that doesn't matter. Most Linux distros come with (and are) pretty good freeware, anyway.
                i thought it was already posted in the linux links thread, guess not. (but it is now)
                btw, don't confuse open source software with freeware, it's not the same thing.

Comment

One can be the other. Open source software can be freeware. The stuff on SourceForge certainly is both. I just figured you (minibubba), of all people would have mentioned SourceForge. SourceForge is to Open Source-addicts as Colombia is to Cocane addicts.peace: :devil win

Comment

Originally posted by Yawgm0th
                    One can be the other. Open source software can be freeware. The stuff on SourceForge certainly is both.
                    despite that the terms are often used interchangeably on the 'net, they really are not the same thing. Sourceforge has strictly open source software, there is no freeware. ZoneAlarm is freeware and FireFox is open source, see the difference? While both are free($), the source code for FireFox is freely available. Try downloading the source code for ZoneAlarm, you can't. On top of that, there is 'free software' which is not the same as open source or freeware (in this case 'free' is like 'free speach' as apposed to 'free beer'). Anyway, this really isn't the place for this conversation.

As for sourceforge, I've mentioned it many times before, and like i said, i thought it was in the other thread.

Comment

Working...
                    X