Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SuSE & Windows problem

in need of help..

im using SuSE n cant seem to get it working wif windows in harmony..

this really should get it's own thread
    ...ah, that's better.

Now can be a bit more speific about the problem?
    Are you having a hard time booting into one or the other, or is it something else?

Comment

Was Windows installed first and then SuSE? :?:

Comment

i install windows first... then linux... i chose the auto installer that partition for you..

Linux boot jus fine but when i wanna boot windows
        ...err... it HANG

then i reformant my comp n install linux then windows.. but it doesnt work that way also...........

.........im clueless in linux.:rolleyes2 :rolleyes2

Comment

btw can u guys teach me how to partition n install properly..
          .. the file system.. stuff like that..

any good website for newbie help?

Comment

check out this guide for installing (partitioning info included): http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=6162

when installing linux, windows should be installed first. Just read the guide I linked too and then come back when you have more questions :)

Comment

it says that if u got NTFS file system u mus partition it using
              Partition Magic.. or u can install linux.. really ?... :steam:

Comment

you have to give Linux or any other OS for that matter a different partition. right?
                what the guide meant out there was that if you want to resize a NTFS partition to create space for Linux then you need something like "partition magic" but if you already have a separate partition then you don't need to use any special software.
                secondly, are you doing a Net Install of SuSE or from CD's? if you are doing from CD then you must have bought the distro and if you did, then didn't you get any manual with it?
                if you are doing a "Net Install", then here is a guide
                Since SuSe doesn't offer free iso download versions of SuSe, I decided to write this guide on how to do an net install (ftp install).

please note that i haven't tried it, as i have never used SuSE but you can always read the guide and see what the problem is.
                Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
                Last Updated:
                10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
                ======================
                jabber : [email protected]
                =======================
                Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
                yabaa dabaa doo...
                Customized for 1024x768

Comment

I installed Suse 9.0 with WinXP and it works great. What I did was create two partitions before installing WinXp and Suse. WinXP will reside on one partition, and Suse will reside on the second partition. The GRUB boot manager if I remember, will reside on the primary boot drive. This method applies if you're using only one hard drive. The manual that comes with the Suse CDs will explain how to set up custom partitions, or how to direct Suse to be set up on the second partition. I'm using NTFS partitions.

If you choose to use only one partition for both windows and Suse, Suse will compress windows in order to make room to create its own partitions for linux. Maybe the compressing of windows by Suse is causing the problem. I've read that a better method would be to have two hard drives. One for windows and one for linux.

Comment

This helps me alot with one of my questions I was going to ask here at anyrate. Thanks for the linkminibubba

Comment

Working...
                    X