Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video card drivers on cd

Help please!
    I have installed Fedora core on my machine. Installed no problems, but my problem now is, I have a nVidea GeForce 4 MX440 video card. I can only get 800 x 600 resolution on it in Fedora. I have a magazine cd which has the "latest drivers for geforce video cards on it," but I'm stumped as to how to install them. It has to be something simple I'm doing wrong, or missing entirely.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanx!

Why don't you just download the official drivers from www.nvidia.com ? :confused:
    CPU: Opteron 165 @ 311x9 - 2817.8 mhz - 1.47v
    Mobo: Abit KN8-SLI
    RAM: 2x512 Crucial Ballistic Tracers500 @ 202 mhz 2-2-2-5 T1
    GFX: Asus EAX1950pro @ 648/1408
    PSU: Thermaltake 500w
    SC: Audigy 2 zs
    LCD: 22' Samsung 225bw
    Speakers: Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra
    Mouse: Logitech G5

Comment

go to nvidia's site, look up their linux drivers and you will find a step by step guide for installing them, good luck :)
      ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Li....0-5336/README

Originally posted by AsianBatman
      Why don't you just download the official drivers from www.nvidia.com ? :confused:
      you're getting good at asking silly questions, AsianBatman. He's not asking where to get the drivers, he's asking how to install them.

Comment

Thanx for your help, both of you. I checked the readme you suggested minibubba, I had to find an older one because the "latest NVIDIA drivers" were not so new after all. In fact I got an error message about no pre-compiled kernel module. I assume that meant too old for a new kernel, so I took asianbatman's advice and downloaded the latest ones (under windows, burnt to cd and then start up Linux, and try installing those ones) It seemed to "install" but when it came to editing my config file, I'm a bit of a klutz with that, and made a right mess of things. I painted myself into a corner. I figured, there's nothing important on there yet, so I started again and reinstalled Fedora, and lo and behold , this time around the resolution I want (1024 x 768 ) is there on the setup screen. What the....? Ah well, live and learn....
        Now, my winmodem........

Comment

Originally posted by South Oz
          Now, my winmodem........
          don't make me cry :cry:
          Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
          Last Updated:
          10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
          ======================
          jabber : [email protected]
          =======================
          Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
          yabaa dabaa doo...
          Customized for 1024x768

Comment

Those that I know personally that had winmodems and linux went and either bought external hardware modems or used a Windows PC with the winmpdem as an internet server.

Comment

Originally posted by Wiggo
              ...either bought external hardware modems
              yup thats what i had to do :hammer:
              Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
              Last Updated:
              10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
              ======================
              jabber : [email protected]
              =======================
              Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
              yabaa dabaa doo...
              Customized for 1024x768

Comment

Thanx for your help, both of you. I checked the readme you suggested minibubba, I had to find an older one because the "latest NVIDIA drivers" were not so new after all. In fact I got an error message about no pre-compiled kernel module. I assume that meant too old for a new kernel, so I took asianbatman's advice and downloaded the latest ones (under windows, burnt to cd and then start up Linux, and try installing those ones) It seemed to "install" but when it came to editing my config file, I'm a bit of a klutz with that, and made a right mess of things. I painted myself into a corner. I figured, there's nothing important on there yet, so I started again and reinstalled Fedora, and lo and behold , this time around the resolution I want (1024 x 768 ) is there on the setup screen. What the....? Ah well, live and learn....
                Now, my winmodem........
                I'd still suggest getting your drivers installed, if nothing else its a great learning experience. its a little tricky with Fedora Core 1. Google has the answer though.

Comment

Originally posted by GamingSniper
                  I'd still suggest getting your drivers installed, if nothing else its a great learning experience. its a little tricky with Fedora Core 1. Google has the answer though.
                  Hey, I must be slowly picking things up, because I managed to get the drivers installed after all. Found a tutorial that explained a few things that others didn't, just little things that made a difference. Anyway, drivers installed, config file edited. Now, if I want to I can have 1280 x 1024 resolution. Thanx to all concerned, now to that modem......

Comment

[B]--<snip>--, now to that modem......
                    Linkage to get you started :-)

p-two.net

Comment

Working...
                    X