Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need the most basics commands to install programs!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need the most basics commands to install programs!

Sorry to use a thread to ask that but i wish to know how to install a program... amsn and mozilla firebird to be exact. They are in tar.gz format. Please give details(or adresses ov a nice little guide) so i can start loving/using daily linux.

for firebird just extract it in your home directory and run the MozillaFirebird script to launch it. There are gui apps to extract the files when you forget the console command. To figure out which command to use, type the following into the console:
    [code:1:e0b17f35ff]man tar[/code:1:e0b17f35ff]this will give you all the options available for 'tar'. to exit the 'man' list, press q. I could just give you the command i guess, but you'll learn more this way ;)

that's the quick and easy way to do it. there are more complicated instalations, but that will tide you over in the mean time

as for amsn, I havn't used it, so it's installation is probably different from that of firebird and may require compiling some source code.

Comment

once extracted, look for README and INSTALL files in the folder for further instructions.
      Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
      Last Updated:
      10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
      ======================
      jabber : [email protected]
      =======================
      Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
      yabaa dabaa doo...
      Customized for 1024x768

Comment

AMSN isn't that hard to install, and it does not really require compiling any source code, just running the install script. Unfortunately, if you don't have the correct version of Tcl/Tk, you will have to install that, and that is not a pretty process for a beginner (I can attest to that)

Comment

syx, what distro are you using? It is likely that there is a better method to install the programs that you need than downloading the tarball for everything, since it can be quite difficult to uninstall or update programs installed from the tarball.

Comment

Comment

since its based on mandrake check out asklepios' urpmi links in this thread. That should help with your problem and help avoiding dependancy hell :cheers:

Comment

Working...
              X