Problem instalilng Mandrake 9.2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem instalilng Mandrake 9.2

I downloaded the 3 ISO files and burned them as an image file using the latest Nero (version5_) . I have a bootable CD and CD2 and CD International for Mandrake 9.2. I also have the 3 CD's for Mandrake 9.1. I went to upgrade my 9.1 and after it gets done with the upgrade and reboots, I get a halt screen and it says: " Finding module dependencies modprobe: modprobe: insmod ov511 failed.

After that it is just hung and I have to push "reset" to get the computer to reboot. I came back into here in XP after booting, but I had the same problems with just doing a clean install with Mandrake 9.2. Do I have a corrupt CD for installing 9.2??

I can get 9.1 to intall great and runs great. I also downloaded it from the internet and have no problems with it at all. My wife and daughter use it quite a bit. I multiboot, and would like to see if I can get the 9.2 Mandrake to work, but this modprobe information is new and I don't know if it came from CD1, CD2, or CD3.

Thanks!!

sounds like either a bad download or a bad burn. check the md5sum of the downloads to make sure they're not corrupted. If you don't know how to do this, you can get instructions at places like linuxiso.org. It's really quite simple :)

Comment

Well, I checked all 3 ISO files with the download of MD5 Summer. They all check out good. Quite a program to do that kind of checking! Worth the download *hint*.

Now my next recourse would be to re-burn with my Nero the 3 CDs. I have a choice of my older Yamaha burner or my DVD/CD burner that is a Pioneer. Perhaps I'll try the Pioneer instead of the Yamaha. I had to burn the CD2 again, slower, with the Yamaha because I kept getting errors during the install with the first burned copy. Perhaps there is a drive in need or cleaning.

Any other thoughts on the modprobe issue? My Mandrake 9.1 re-insalled flawlessly. Although I would like to know where the little program went to that has the ability to dial up the ISP and connect to the internet. Can't seem to find that, and had to go into one of the configuration programs with root permissions to get connected.

Comment

you seem to be running a webcam on your USB port. MDK 9.2 detected it at the time of install and is now trying to insert drivers for it at the boot time which is failing.
        if everything worked fine with 9.1 then most prolly your webcam did not work and now 9.2 is trying to get it to work. imo your CD's should be fine. no immediate need to burn them again till you are sure that it is CD (i highly doubt that).
        i don't know whether you know it or not but Linux does not like plug'n'play enabled in the BIOS at the time of install. go in your BIOS and see if this feature is set to something like "OS dependant". if it is; then disable it.
        secondly pull your webcam out and do a "clean" install. i hope that works.
        Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
        Last Updated:
        10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
        ======================
        jabber : [email protected]
        =======================
        Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
        yabaa dabaa doo...
        Customized for 1024x768

Comment

Yep, that was it!!:D I disconnected the USB webcam (that I haven't really set up anyway!) and did the upgrade and then the boot and went into Mandrake 9.2 just fine. No problem.

Thanks asklepios !!:)

Comment

no problem. just tell me how MDK 9.2 feels? i mean is it any better than 9.1?
            Last Updated:
            10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
            ======================
            =======================
            yabaa dabaa doo...
            Customized for 1024x768

Comment

You wanted to know what I think of 9.2?? I re-installed 9.1 back into use. If there were differences it would be in the recognition of my HP Color Inkjet printer (photo style) that was recognized by 9.2 and not by 9.1. It recognizes my satellite as a scanner, so that's of no help

One thing I found odd.... on both of the Mandrakes, I can't seem to find KPPP the program to connect to my internet via my external Zoom modem. I can go into Drake configuration tools for network and connect that way, but I do not see the KPPP as an option anymore in the menus on the left side, particularily, in the "Network" WWW sub menu. I think it was there?? :rolleyes:

Vern

Comment

you can always edit your menus using menudrake.
                btw why did you remove go back to 9.1? you faced any problem?
                Last Updated:
                10th MARCH

======================
                =======================
                yabaa dabaa doo...
                Customized for 1024x768

Comment

The main problem was that KPPP was there in the menu, eventually, but it had strange actions. For example. I could go into settings, set up the dial up account, username, password, etc and hit connect, and it would dial, go through the triggering of the modem, and then after a short period of time, disconnect and start to re-dial.

I could connect if I went to Drake configuration and connected via that main part, of Network configuration. If I connected there, it would stay connected. If I used KPPP (which should have been the same) it would not connect and stay connected. Odd really.

So I would say that the number of bugs in the original 9.2 made me a little leary to keep it on, and just went back to 9.1 as it was working fine.

I'll give "Menudrake" a try and see if I can get KPPP to come up and if I can, I can set it as a desktop icon.

Comment

OH, one other thing about 9.2 I noticed that it came with a virus protector in the installation screens. I thought Linux, Unix and such were pretty much invulnerable to viruses and worms?

Comment

Well, I did go back and upgrade, again, to 9.2 Mandrake to try once again. Finally have KKKP on the desktop. Didn't work at first, but I deleted the account and re-installed the dial up account and it connected and at the moment I'm in here using Konqueror. I've got Mozilla, but this seems to work quite well (Konqueror) I suppose it does all the good things that IE 6 would do and probably all the things that Mozilla would do. It does what it should as far as I can tell.

And this seems to run faily smooth. I'll have to take some time and download the updates and bug fixes. That was the real wonder with 9.2 I saw so many bug fixes and wondered how stable the distro was.

Comment

Working...
                      X