Linux gets heart transplant with 2.6.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux gets heart transplant with 2.6.0

yes guys...a highly awaited thing in Linux community has arrived. Linux Kernel 2.6 is here :D
    Web is full with articles about it. I will be upgrading mine from test11 to the stable one tonight just cos of its sheer speed. what are you waiting for ;)
    Key Features
    - support for new hardware architectures, including the latest AMD 64-bit Opteron CPUs and PowerPC 64 CPUs
    - ability to run on servers with upto 32 processors.
    - true asynchronous I/O for performance improvements in enterprise applications, including databases
    - Improved Kernel Preemption\x{2014}latency of the kernel is greatly reduced and the resulting system response is greatly increased.
    - 0(1) Scheduler\x{2014}The Linux 2.6 kernel sorts executable actions by priority, and allows real-time processes to share one queue. This allows for greater real-time performance with few runable processes.
    - improved file-system performance, four journaling file systems for real-time data backup and recovery capabilities
    - improved threading support for the new Posix threads library, with the ability to handle up to hundreds of thousands of threads, as well as full Posix compliance
    - enhanced high-bandwidth networking support, with TCP segmentation offload support and zero-copy network file system support
    - support for USB 2.0
    - NTFS writing capabilities

A negative point
    2.6 can handle upto 24GB of memory while 2.4 could handle upto 32GB of memory. (oh well they will work on that ;) )
    If you people read and find more features do tell me and i will add to the list.

CNET Article
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : [email protected]
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

I've been waiting for this. I wonder how long it will be before we start seeing it in the popular distros?

Comment

well Slackware 9.1 is 2.6.x ready, so you can get the new kernel as soon as you install the distro :)
      Last Updated:
      10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
      ======================
      =======================
      yabaa dabaa doo...
      Customized for 1024x768

Comment

very cool considering I was just moments away from installing slackware myself :D

Comment

I remember when the 2.0 kernel was released...I got it the minute it came out and compiled it on my P3 500 mhz machine...took like 45 minutes. Ahhhh, those were the days :)

Comment

2.6 can handle upto 24GB of memory while 2.4 could handle upto 32GB of memory. (oh well they will work on that
            Most desktop mobos cant handle that much memory anyway :D

Comment

Originally posted by kane2g
              Most desktop mobos cant handle that much memory anyway :D
              yes but any mobo handling 32 processors will
              Last Updated:
              10th MARCH

======================
              =======================
              yabaa dabaa doo...
              Customized for 1024x768

Comment

Originally posted by minibubba

I've been waiting for this. I wonder how long it will be before we start seeing it in the popular distros?
                feels stange quoting myself, but anyway...

the first beta of Mandrake 10.0 is now available for download and includes the new kernel. Here's the release notes:

- Linux Kernel 2.6.1 and 2.4.25pre6
                - Glibc 2.3.3 with NPTL support
                - XFree86 4.4pre
                - KDE 3.2pre
                - Mozilla 1.6
                - New Mandrake Control Center
                - New tool: mdkwebadmin (local lanch of webmin)
                - New menue structure which benefited from Club & Cooker suggestions

Known troubles:

- USB doesn't work during installation
                - 3D acceleration doesn't work

for downloads and more information: http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/100beta.php3

Comment

Working...
                X