No announcement yet.

PC Mark 2002

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• so how do I get into this cache setting to adjust and also the raid thing, its all new to me guys, try and be patient with me please.

:cheers:

Comment

• The cache is built into the hard drive but you can't change it. The JB series of Western Digital hard drives have an 8MB cache, just about everthing else has 2MB (or smaller depending on the age).

RAID is combining 2 hardrives on a special controller and stripping data across both making the 2 really 1 larger hard drive and combining both caches leads to a faster data transfer again. :smokin:
      <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

• I see, I see !!!! learn something new everyday !!!
        Cheers mate,
        :cheers:

Comment

• thomson1968- hopefully you got my reply to your message...it was saying pretty much what everyone else is saying! :thumb:

Comment

• Ok, maybe WiGGo can answer the question of why is saidn;s scor e bit lower than mine in the HD department when he has the two WD Beast...?...its kinda buggin me...i thought he would blow out of the sky!
            - Damien

Comment

• ye saidin, I got your message, cheers mate.

Comment

• flaco, I do not know why scores are lower than yours...it seems odd. But I have read either in this forum or in others that the harddrive test in 3dmark is less than acurate at time. So....who knows! :thumb:

Comment

• Originally posted by pcmkr
                  I got about the same score with my AMD system as the first scores for the CPU and memory, but my HD got a bit higher...what kind of HD do you have?
                  I have a maxtor in my AMD box & a Quantum in my P4 box - I didn't expect either to score very high - but 475? that sucks.

Maybe it's time to pick up a WD w/the 8mb cache.....or go SCSI :D

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by RDR
                      I have a maxtor in my AMD box & a Quantum in my P4 box - I didn't expect either to score very high - but 475? that sucks.

Maybe it's time to pick up a WD w/the 8mb cache.....or go SCSI :D
                      I agree :thumb: Like saidin

Comment

• Yep, thats what I got. $110 isnt bad at all :thumb:

Comment

• Originally posted by saidin
                          flaco, I do not know why scores are lower than yours...it seems odd. But I have read either in this forum or in others that the harddrive test in 3dmark is less than acurate at time. So....who knows! :thumb:
                          I know its not in a form of measurement (i.e. mb/s, etc) but it should be useful for comparison...even though its not in mathmatical units. For example if pga get 1100 on his and i get 1300 on mine your score should technically be higher.
                          - Damien

Comment

• Just remember guys that the PCI bus has to be negotiated with all the rest of the traffic on it and usable bandwidth will be getting close to the limit so after a certain point there can't be anymore increase at all. ;)
                            <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

• Thanks for clearing that up...:)
                              - Damien

Comment

• of course there's no practical reason for me to have a SCSI hard drive...but I really don't have any practical reason to have the system's I already have. Other than the occasional gaming session....one box with a PIII would probably serve me just fine, but where's the fun in that?

Why get a SCSI drive?.... because I don't have one & it would be fun to play with for a while.

It's kind of like - why get another $75 cpu cooler....well maybe I'll be able to OC by another 10MHz & score an extra 50pts. in my favourite benchmark - I try not to get sucked into that too much, but sometimes.........

Comment

Working...
                                X