Ghosting WinXP PRO w/sp 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ghosting WinXP PRO w/sp 1

Has any1 been successful ghosting WinXP Pro w/SP 1?

How could it be any different using Ghost if SP1 has been added to xp? Ghost only cares about the bits written on the hd. Is SP1 supposed to put some secret inaccessable files on the hd?

Comment

:hammer:
      i did sucess all the time.. it is exactly easy to do it...
      just do as a normal ghost, that b ok!:zzz:
      u dont even have to worry about SP1 or SP2 or VLK

Comment

you asked has anyone been successful...it means that you are facing some problem. Tell us what is the problem cos ghost is never effected by what is installed cos it is just imaging your HD to another place!
        Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
        Last Updated:
        10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
        ======================
        jabber : [email protected]
        =======================
        Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
        yabaa dabaa doo...
        Customized for 1024x768

Comment

We're building 3 new comps (all three have same exact configurations) for the office...and so far this is what we have done:

1) Install XP Pro + all required apps on one machine

2) Use Norton Ghost 2003 to ghost this machine

Question is...how do we re-image this onto the other comps...what about Windows activation/ and the computer Unique ID...

I've just read somewhere that sysprep (where can I find this?) is required for this...

Can someone type a quick how-to ..step by step..? (basically, do I run sysprep once the test machine is set up the way I want it with all the required apps?)

Comment

you can install only multiple copies on multiple conputers or you'll have to buy more than one license.
            if you have just one copy of WinXP pro and you want to install it on more than one PC then it is not possible and no will talk about it either. :thumb:
            Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
            Last Updated:
            10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
            ======================
            jabber : [email protected]
            =======================
            Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
            yabaa dabaa doo...
            Customized for 1024x768

Comment

Also the mobo chipset plus other hardware factors will play a roll as well. Don't try to use one copy on all unless ya've paid for the extra licences or all will be cancelled by M$ (also be aware of my sig as it also means zero tollerences like M$).

Comment

No we have 3 OEM copies that we bought from newegg.com

Comment

Sysprep is how you create the unattended answer file that you build to install multiple copies of windows. Time to RTFM. You are in over your head. Sysprep is in the tools directory of the Win xp cd.

Comment

sysprep is an OK tool but its not fail proof. if you don't have the same hardware in each box you are cloning you will end up doing a lot of booting from the CD and repairing the install. your best best for Sysprep is from the OEM Preinstallation Kit for both Windows XP and also the OEM Preinstallation Kit for Office XP if you plan of preinstalling that..

you should get 1 OEM Preinstallation kit with every OEM multipack [at least 3Pks] you buy..

edit: FYI: sometimes something as simple as having a different BIOS version on the same hardware will force a repair of the install..

Comment

Working...
                    X