Mystery Email Receiving Problems using Outlook 2000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mystery Email Receiving Problems using Outlook 2000

Try this M$ article. it deals with a similar kind of a problem.
    You didn't tell us how you connect to internet? Do you connect by dial-up? If yes then check your phone line. Most probably your phone line has noise or other disturbances. If you connect by DSL or other kind of broadband connection, then check that you've got constant ping and there is no ping loss. Usually these kind of errors occur either cos of a faulty internet connection or a badly configured firewall and anti-virus softwares.
    Though it used to work fine earlier but some update to anti-virus might have done this. So try following the article I linked to and try solving this thing. If it doesn't help, tell us again!
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : [email protected]
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

Comment

Thanks for your help BUT unfortunately the advice in the Thread did not work. I already had the email blocking feature in NAV 2003 turned off and then I turned off the script blocking feature like it suggested but I got the same result. I then completely disabled NAV, rebooted with NAV off but still it didn't work. I would get this message when I started to download from Outlook...

Checking for messages...
      Downloading 1 of 19... (the current number of emails I need to download)
      Checking for messages to cleanup off the server...

THEN WHAM the system stops downloading and I get this TCP/IP error message again (in my first post).

I'm baffled what could this be?

I went to the other related possible symptoms and links in the post you gave me but couldn't find anything that would help. The confusing thing is everything was working normally then STOPPED.

4 weeks ago I was using everything normally then it started acting funny. For 2 weeks I could only send emails and had to read my received emails off the web browser. Last week I finally turned off the email blocking feature and it worked!!! I could receive emails again. I thought my troubled days were over then now I'm having the same problems again.

It seems to be trying to pull the emails off the Yahoo server but gets abruptly cut off about 5 seconds into the download. It acknowledges I have 19 emails sitting in my Yahoo web Browser's inbox but I can't get them into my Outlook.

BTW I get my email via DSL with a 512K line. The connection seems good as I can download things at the max rate no problem so I think my connection is clean.

What could be the problem???

Any other suggestions?

Comment

This is probably off-base, but here it is just the same;
        The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

Thanks for the try anyway but it did not work. My local ISP will allow me to send and receive emails from others. Plus I have Outlook 2000 not Outlook Express.

I noticed that MS went and installed some security patches to IE Explorer 6 called installations 810833 and 810565 so I did a system restore before this problem occured but NO deal I still got the same problems.

If this is any clue I have just tried to access my Web Browser Yahoo email as this is the only way I can see my incoming email and I get the message:

Temporary problem accessing your mailbox.
          We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience. The problem wth the mailbox has now been logged, and we are working to restore your access.
          Thankyou for your patience.

Does this possibly signal that the problem is with Yahoo??? Yes I can't get into my mailbox now, but the main issue I am having is trying to download from my Yahoo Web Browser to Outlook 2000.

As you can see from me being able to type this post, my regular nternet connection with my local ISP is fine.

Please help anyone if you can!

Comment

Originally posted by jlcanuck

Temporary problem accessing your mailbox.
            We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience. The problem wth the mailbox has now been logged, and we are working to restore your access.
            Thankyou for your patience.

Does this possibly signal that the problem is with Yahoo??? Yes I can't get into my mailbox now, but the main issue I am having is trying to download from my Yahoo Web Browser to Outlook 2000.

As you can see from me being able to type this post, my regular nternet connection with my local ISP is fine.

Please help anyone if you can!
            I'd say Yahoo is looking suspicious... short response and all. It could easily be a problem with their pop3 access, a server in your area, etc...

If it doesnt correct itsself shortly, I wouldn't hesitate to inform them that you've tried troubleshooting with both your ISP and Symantec (if you haven't already). Persistance may pay off. Then again they may just give you a shorter response! :grr:
            Chris "Raven"
            News Crew - TweakTown
            <!--
            <font size=1>
            <font color=green>Main Beast:</font>
            - Athlon XP 1800+@1701MHz | EPoX 8KHA+ | Corsair 512MB XMS3200C2 | GeForce3 Ti200
            - 2x80GB WD 7200RPM | 40x12x48 Sony CDRW | Pioneer 16X DVD
            - Swiftech MCX462+ / Tt Smart Case Fan 2 | Antec 1030SX case w/ 431W Enermax PSU
            </font>
            // -->
            "Look at life like your morning cup of coffee. You might have one every day, yet you still enjoy it."

How to ask a good question

Comment

Well the saga continues...

My Yahoo Mailbox is back online again but I still can't download my email from my Web browser's Inbox to my Outlook 2000 on my desktop.

I turned off the anti-virus software and it still didn't work. I've turned the anti-virus software back on since this doesn't seem to be the problem (but have left the email scanning and script enabling features off).

This brings me to trying to understand POP3 better. My settings in Outlook 2000 have not changed, I double checked. Outlook seems to be trying to oull things off my Yahoo POP3 account but then I get that TCP/IP problem of downloading again.

Initially I was suspicious that is was something to do with Yahoo but still can't be sure. I have sent Yahoo help support emails before but they just send me back standard computer generated responses with standard configuration checks - ie no one personally looking at my problem. I doubt they would admit the problem is with their POP3 servers anyway. If I could gather some evidence I will push the issue harder with them which is why I am trying to ask the experts in this community. This problem is very frustrating!

HELP!!!

Comment

For what it is worth I notice when I look at my last downloads from Outlook that it took off my Yahoo POP3 Server that there are now about 2-3 messages that sit on my Yahoo Web browser and also in my Outlook, meaning that Outlook downloaded about 2-3 emails off the Yahoo into my Outlook but did not clean up the Yahoo server. Could it be this is causing the server to "clog up" because of an error somewhere?

I don't know if this information sheds anymore light but I thought it is worth reporting in case somebody has any new ideas or suggestions.

Comment

I actually downloaded some email today from my web browser into Outlook 2000 but only a few. What I did was to remove my logon name and password so Outlook would prompt me again.

When I tried to download into Outlook the program asked me for my name and password tried to log on and the came back and asked me again to fill in my logon name to Yahoo and password again, it did this a total of 3-4 times and then suddenly after a pause (I assume it was trying to connect) I got 2 emails downloaded then WHAM! It cut me off again. The emails it downloaded where repeats of the very last emails I already had as per my previous post (probably because it did not have time to clean up what was in my Yahoo inbox) but it was nevertheless encouraging to be able to download something. I tried again to receive again by hitting F5 (send/receive) but kept getting the TCP/IP error.

I turned my computer off and tried the whole process again and this time I downloaded 7 emails the WHAM it cut me off again. I just tried to go into my Yahoo Web browser inbox and I got the answer that it was "Temporarily Unavailable and sorry for the convenience standard stuff..."

Does this suggest that the problem is with YAHOO???

If so can someone give me some advice how to contact their help center to give me help rather than sending me back computer generated responses?

Comment

The problem has been fixed, but frankly I don't know how. I didn't make any changes other than I de-installed Popup Stopper on my computer but after I de-installed it I still couldn't get my email downloaded. I have not made any other changes.

I don't know if the actions are related but I simply left my computer on. This morning when I got back to my computer I see Outlook downloaded everything and when I tried to receive a new batch of downloads they came smoothly down!

Sorry to bother everyone. I wish there was something I could say which everyone else could learn from since this is what forums are good for but I really don't know what to say other than as mysteriously as it stopped working three days ago, it's mysteriously working again.

Once again this leads me to suspect it was not my doing but Yahoo's POP3 server. It's the only thing that I can think about but it doesn't make sense that only I would be having POP3 server problems with Yahoo. They must have millions of accounts using their POP3 server. If they all stopped people would be screaming bloody murder - or have they???

Go figure!

Now let's hope it stays this way!

Comment

Good news:thumb:

Hope you get to enjoy it for a long time:)
                      The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

Working...
                      X