Ad-aware v6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ad-aware v6

for those of us who don't often look at the home page first (:o ) Ad-aware version 6 is out! and picked up something that my Spybot didn't. prob explains why the updates to ad-aware v5 were becoming slow if the chaps were working on v6......;)
    anyway, I find the link through here if you're interested....:devil:

I'm a huge advocate of Adaware :)

Comment

well i just saw their new website and i m freaking a wee bit now...
      the way ad-aware is gaining popularity it doesn't seem far when they might turn towards charging for it.
      well its quite fair that they charge for an excellent stuff but then it always feels wierd to pay for something you used to get for free...:p
      anyways i wanted to know that which one is better...spybot destroyer or ad-aware. i specifically wanna ask from people who have tried both the things cos it always helps to know that you have best stuff on ur puter.
      so people wd u please tell me whats the thing that you feel is better.
      Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
      Last Updated:
      10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
      ======================
      jabber : [email protected]
      =======================
      Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
      yabaa dabaa doo...
      Customized for 1024x768

Comment

Thanks for the link Sunshine.

When the news showed up on the front page the links didn't work yet. Guess they were working on their new site still.

I've never used a program like this but with this comp being brand new I thought I would treat it right :thumb:

Comment

asklepios, I use both Spybot & Ad-Aware!
          a "belts & braces" kind of gal.... ;)

Comment

Ya I'm quite impressed with the new version of adaware. It found 19 things on my system that adaware 5.83 did not!

One thing that does puzzle me is the fact that when I first installed the program the default reference file was like 3/x/03. The file that I updated with the webupdater is 9/x/03. A bit futuristic eh?

Comment

erm, maybe they are using the non-USA form of dating ie: dd/mm/yyyy rather than the USA form of mm/dd/yyyy? ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Sunshine
                asklepios, I use both Spybot & Ad-Aware!
                a "belts & braces" kind of gal.... ;)
                so then which one do u think is better...i mean if someone didn't detect something while the other one did...ever happened anything like that?
                Last Updated:
                10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
                ======================
                =======================
                yabaa dabaa doo...
                Customized for 1024x768

Comment

Thanks for the info about the Ad-Aware 6.0......Like everyone else in this thread, I ran it on my system and it found 29 files. These files wasn't found with the old verison....Thanks again for the info!!!

IIIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!:cheers:

Comment

asklepios,
                    I find both useful. honestly. not really one better than the other. something to check with Spybot are the "excludes" and the updates online. these need to be done regularly. ad-aware unfortunately didnt previously automatically update. i think the new version does.
                    as some folks will remember I had a BIG problem with pop-ups a while ago, and eventually found that in Spybot under Excludes there were a whole host of cookies that were excluded that I didn't recognise! I unticked them, re-ran the programme and the pop-ups disappeared!
                    Ad-aware in its previous life was starting to not pick up a lot of spyware which is why I used Spybot (as recommended by Wiggo :cheers: ) complementary with Ad-aware.
                    Spybot also needs help to remember which programmes aren;t spyware, but did pick up more than Ad-aware5. As for AA version 6, the jury is still out as I have only been using it these last couple of days. : party ha

Comment

erm, maybe they are using the non-USA form of dating ie: dd/mm/yyyy rather than the USA form of mm/dd/yyyy? ;)
                      HA!! of course! 9/2/03 would be february 9th!! not september 2nd!! hahaha

Comment

asklepios,
                        I find both useful. honestly. not really one better than the other. something to check with Spybot are the "excludes" and the updates online. these need to be done regularly. ad-aware unfortunately didnt previously automatically update. i think the new version does.
                        as some folks will remember I had a BIG problem with pop-ups a while ago, and eventually found that in Spybot under Excludes there were a whole host of cookies that were excluded that I didn't recognise! I unticked them, re-ran the programme and the pop-ups disappeared!
                        Ad-aware in its previous life was starting to not pick up a lot of spyware which is why I used Spybot (as recommended by Wiggo :cheers: ) complementary with Ad-aware.
                        Spybot also needs help to remember which programmes aren;t spyware, but did pick up more than Ad-aware5. As for AA version 6, the jury is still out as I have only been using it these last couple of days. : party ha
                        thanx for the info sunshine...:thumb:
                        i am off to get the both of them...soon i will know which one would i prefer...:cheers:
                        Last Updated:
                        10th MARCH

======================
                        =======================
                        yabaa dabaa doo...
                        Customized for 1024x768

Comment

Yes both do run well together. :thumb:

Comment

for those who don't visit the site too often (just like me :p), the new build for adaware v6 is out.
                            lavasoft have stopped releasing reference files for old build and thus it is recommended that you d/l new build.
                            Last Updated:
                            10th MARCH

======================
                            =======================
                            yabaa dabaa doo...
                            Customized for 1024x768

Comment

Thanks asklepios.

Have you noticed that it doesn't run as smoothly as the previous version, but it scans alot faster?

Comment

Working...
                              X