Adcaster Extreme Pop Ups?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adcaster Extreme Pop Ups?

Good Afternoon, Just found these forums.

Just wondering If anybody has come across the Adcaster Extreme pop ups. I've got a pop up stopper to prevent a second window opening up in I.E. But these are a new breed of pop ups, that come about mostly when using win mx. They're very annoying & I want rid of the buggers If possible?

M.

Try POW! then. ;)

Works for me. :devil win

Comment

Thanks dude, I'll give It a bash. :thumb:

Comment

OK, now you have my curiosity running full speed ahead.
        I am running WinMX without the assistance of a pop-up blocker and I get exactly 0 (zero) ads of any shape or kind whatsoever.
        I am running version 3.31.
        Highly suspicious, suspecting perhaps the actual cause of your woes might be something other than WinMX. It has long been within the capability of WinMX to deliver advertiser content, but to my knowledge, this has never been implemented.

Are you running any programs in conjunction with WiinMX, oh say, LeachHammer perhaps?
        Or another p2p app at the same time?

This just isn't adding up!
        The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

It got me stumped too. The reason I thought It may be win mx is because thats the only time the pop ups appear. They don't pop up when I've got my browser open. So I went to the web address on the pop up out of curiosity. I think It was www.messengerblocker.com . On the website they say that there Is a flaw in microsofts win 2000/XP technologies that allow these pop ups :confused: . Only other programs I have running are msn and norton anti virus.

Comment

A-HA!!!!
            You are the victim of Messenger spam.
            This utilizes "net send" which MicroSoft built in to the program for system administrators to broadcast alerts over a network.
            Unfortunately, some folks found another use for it.

The Good News!
            It's not WinMX.
            The fix is free -- don't pay for the software at the link you gave (though it will fix the problem).

This website has the info you need to disable net send.

follow the links at the right on that page for your operating system, and follow the steps there to get rid of that annoying garbage.
            The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

Well wdn't just disabling the Messenger service solves the problem...:?:
              I think it should.
              Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
              Last Updated:
              10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
              ======================
              jabber : [email protected]
              =======================
              Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
              yabaa dabaa doo...
              Customized for 1024x768

Comment

Thanks Mr C, all done :cheers: :thumb: :D

Comment

Originally posted by asklepios
                  Well wdn't just disabling the Messenger service solves the problem...:?:
                  I think it should.
                  You could indeed disable Messenger. The advantage to disabling the net send feature is that you can still utilize Messenger normally, without being interrupted by the spam.

YW DJ_Toastie, once we had a grip on the problem it became clear what the cure was. Enjoy:thumb:

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. C
                    You could indeed disable Messenger. The advantage to disabling the net send feature is that you can still utilize Messenger normally, without being interrupted by the spam.
                    sorry for being so dumb but what do we mean by enjoying messenger out here? are we pointing towards MSN or windows messenger? :?:
                    sorry for me being so ignorant of most of the command prompt programs...:(
                    Last Updated:
                    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
                    ======================
                    =======================
                    yabaa dabaa doo...
                    Customized for 1024x768

Comment

sorry for being so dumb but what do we mean by enjoying messenger out here? are we pointing towards MSN or windows messenger? :?:
                      sorry for me being so ignorant of most of the command prompt programs...:(
                      MSN messenger is just an updated version of windows messenger. They're both the same thing :thumb: .

Comment

Originally posted by DJ_Toastie
                        MSN messenger is just an updated version of windows messenger. They're both the same thing :thumb: .
                        The thing that I wanted to ask was that when we stop the service "Messenger" are we saying that windows messenger won't work or is there some other inbulit messenger that might not work? Thats the clarification I was hoping to get...:o
                        Last Updated:
                        10th MARCH

======================
                        =======================
                        yabaa dabaa doo...
                        Customized for 1024x768

Comment

The thing that I wanted to ask was that when we stop the service "Messenger" are we saying that windows messenger won't work or is there some other inbulit messenger that might not work? Thats the clarification I was hoping to get...:o
                          You're not the first to be confused about this plethora of messengers. The one that most people know is the chat program MSN Messenger, which is up to ver. 5 but this isn't the problem.

It's the messenger service to let admins send messages through a network in a work environment. If you're not in that environment, You really don't need it. Stop it from the services in Administrative tools.

I hope that clarifies it for you.

augie

Comment

It surely does augie...:D
                            Thanx buddy...:cheers:
                            Last Updated:
                            10th MARCH

======================
                            =======================
                            yabaa dabaa doo...
                            Customized for 1024x768

Comment

I am running Windows XP and have also experienced a bombardment of Messenger Popups, through AdCaster Extreme. I read on this site that I could shut down messenger through my control panel. I want to do that, but I have one concern. I also read that shutting down messenger would interfere with needed messages, such as print spooling, virus alert, and event logging. I don't fully understand how these work, so I do not know exactly what problems I will have. It scares me to think that my Norton AntiVrus and Symantec Internet Security software, would no longer be able to alert me to a virus on my computer. Does the Norton software rely on the messenger feature? Would shutting off messenger, stop my virus alerts? Anyone who is certain of the answer, please reply. This AdCaster thing is driving me nuts. Someone also made mention of disabling the net send feature. How is this different from the messenger feature, and how would I do that? Thanks in advance, to anyone who can help.

Comment

Working...
                              X