Intel's Application Accellerator???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel's Application Accellerator???

Ok what's the real go with this? And I don't what an Intel link either as that tells me diddley swat. :confused:

This P4 of mine benchtests very well but has been lousey at crunchin' a SETI work unit up until recently. Now though I'm gettin' wildly swingin' times from it's 3hr 15min averages it was givin' but now from 3hrs 30mins to 2hrs 30min and everything in between has been given for the last 36hrs. :eek:

None of my other systems (AMD & Intel) have displayed this behaviour but them none of them are equiped with this application either which is all I can put this down to. :?:

Can anyone please shed some light on this for me please (though the average w/u times have overall been slowly decreasin')? :cheers:

I see the full range of reactions.
    From "Wow!" to "never again".

Seems folks who actually read the compatibility list and know what hardware they have get the best results by far. LOL (Now imagine that):?:

Of course a lot of OEM machines don't do well, if they can install it at all. Those OEM shortcuts you know.

I'd think if you have qualifying components it might be worth taking a stab at. What's to lose.

Of course, I'm not speaking from personal experience (VIA chipset here).

You know you want to give it a try.......don't you:geek:
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

Ya completely lost me there Mr. C. This app demanded to be installed at setup of the mobo drivers and is spose to analise the programs bein' used and find better ways within the CPU (it is Intel's app after all) to speed their progress up. It's this app's "real world" workin's that I'm questionin' here as it's the only thing that differs this PC from my others and this of late behaviour. ;)

The PIII's that I've built didn't come with this. :hammer:

Comment

ahhh, so you have it installed then:?:

Keep in mind, the Application Accelerator is an option - not a requirement.

It is available for DL from the Intel site. You might check for a newer version perhaps.

Or you might try an installation without it at all; it can be added later if I understand correctly.

And yes, it is supposed to work with PIII's as well - provided you are using a compatible chipset.

my previous post was in reference to what I have heard regarding "real world" results.
        The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

Once I finish this move I'll unpack the mobo drivers and separate that one out and try again to see what happens but this feels like a turbo charged 4 cylinder car where as the Athlons feel like beast V8's if ya know what I mean? ;)

Comment

Something old, newer versions might be different.

Well @ Anandtech they aren't too happy with it because they claim that Intel's benchmarks were done in comparison to the built in Win2000 IDE drivers.

In my own tests with various systems I can only tell you that it only seems to make a noticeable difference on Pentium 4 socket 478 systems running DDR memory [in other words the i845 chipset], and it only increases CPU & memory benchmarks not hard disk benchmarks. I noticed the hard disk benchmarks dropped by 10% in SiSoft's Sandra and HDtach. Since the hard drive is generally the bottleneck in most systems it seems a little useless. Also important to note is the fact that almost the same identical benchmarks were seen on Pentium 4 based systems using RAMBUS memory whether using the socket 423 or socket 478 type of CPU.

Intel is now integrating their IDE drivers into this Application Accelerator. and I ran my tests before christmas 2001 with the 1.2 version of the app accelerator. they are now up to ver. 2.021 as of 1/29/2002. Somewhere down the road it will become necessary to use it though since its the only way to get updated IDE drivers for Intel 8xx series chipset motherboards. I assume this is the problem you ran into..
            :devil win

Comment

I've got the latest i845PE chipset and the latest version is with the other drivers so maybe this is why it demanded to be installed (well really it just didn't give me a choice) so maybe I can't get rid of this weird behaviour. :(

I tell ya's what though I don't think I'll own another in a big hurry as this ain't the way I like to do my work plus I get a big feelin' that it's only to rig benchmarks IMHO.

Now where's those AMD price cuts as the EP-8RDA+ has dropped $15aus already? :devil:

Comment

Working...
              X