Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using A Pc To Make And Answer Regular Telephone Calls

Hi there!

I am wanting to find out how I can use my PC to make and answer telephone calls when I am not 'online'

My reason is that as I have impaired hearing I could easily adjust the volume of the incoming signal by adjusting my desktop speakers and I could use a desktop microphone for transmitting without having to hold a handset and thus keep both hands free.

The electronics exist in a computer that would be able to achieve this task but maybe a suitable program has not been written.

Any help or suggestions would very much be appreciated.

Perhaps this 'post' shold not be under WINDOWS and if this is the case I hope the moderator steers me in the right direction.

Hmmm
    My best suggestion would be the PhoneWorks 2002 from http://www.ringcentral.com

This program is rather expensive but if you have a compatible modem it will more than meet your needs.

I have an old copy of the RingCentral software that came with an OEM PC back in '97. The software is excellent and is still used to this day for all my faxing needs. It is actually designed with a small/medium business in mind and has a lot more features than a single user could ever possibly make use of.

Basically once the program is started it just acts as a regular phone as far as that aspect of the software is concerned. It has a built in personal phonebook (you are just a double-click away from dialing anyone you have entered in the phone book.) and all else that 1 could require.

I'd try checking eBay and such places and see if you could maybe find a copy cheaper than the $100 price - though you may not have a problem with that. You will have to be the judge there.

The only problem I encountered was with my modem (and a rather common issue as I understand it.), when calling out it takes a couple of seconds for the modem to "initialize" so to speak when the person on the other end answers. So for a bit the party you are calling is saying "hello" and you are unable to respond. A couple of times I was nearly hung up on by the person I was calling. Other than that -- absolutely flawless.

Of course, if you should be interested you need to go to the site and confirm your modems compatibility with the software.

Normally when someone needs a program I have a freeware -- but in this case I'm a firm believer in RingCentral
    But if anyone here has some other ideas, I'm open to suggestions as always:)
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

Thanks Mr C, you have given me good news and sufficient information for me to accomplish the task I want to achieve. I will start on the project as soon as possible and give you some feedback at the end.

This is why I love the internet and my computer. Being able to communicate with like-minded people all over the world is marvellous.

Comment

Originally posted by kiamaian
        This is why I love the internet and my computer. Being able to communicate with like-minded people all over the world is marvellous.
        I couldn't agree more!
        An intelligent opposing view is a treasure too. When the exchange of information is put into practice we can only gain from it.

Good luck with your phone endeavour:thumb:
        The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

Working...
        X