Stop POP UPs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stop POP UPs

I tried this and it works, in just a few days, it stopped so many pop ups I am surprized:cheers:
    http://www.bysoft.se/sureshot/stopthepop/index.html

In Mozilla you don't need any helping doftware. Just select the option to prevent unvanted windows to open and that's all.

Comment

I'v been using explorer. I just started trying Mozilla today.Not up to speed on that browser yet.:cheers:

Comment

POW! :thumb:
        (as some pop-ups are needed like those required to login to certain sites)

Comment

:D Yah I guess your right, but if you already know this, you can disable it when needed. But I know it comes in handy at some sites, some send zillions of pop ups:cheers:
          I know it happened already!!!!:cheers:

Comment

Wiggo, YOUR SO RIGHT.
            Now that I've had it on my pc a few days, As much as it takes away from the bad pop ups, it takes away from the ones you need. Like here to get the PM messages. But now that I know this I can use it when needed. Not everywhere, just someplaces!!!!:cheers: :cheers: Your a smart man:cheers: TY

Comment

I don't recommend anything unless I've tried it now. ;)

Comment

GOOD IDEA:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: I'll remember that!!!! :cheers: :cheers:

Comment

POW does indeed work well, provided you take the time to "train" the program according to your needs.

Just leave POW running and when a pop-up appears you don't like, simply left-click the POW icon in the tray and choose "Add/Delete Popup".
                  Then in the POW Windows Selection dialouge which appears, select the offending window from the list of open windows in the lower section, double-click it and it will be added to the list of windows to be closed which appears in the upper section of the dialouge.

That way, if you don't add it, you still get it.

Highly configurable, small, free and it works well -- AnalogX is definitely one of the good guys!
                  The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

Crazy Browser also has a built-in popup blocker, multiple tab browsing etc, and it's free.

:thumb:

Comment

I'll check into that MR.C
                      I actually really like it, because this one day, I can't remember what site I went to ( I should say sites) it stopped over 10 x 200 Pop Ups, But then again even here, getting a PM message the other window doesn't open, or even links and such from emails. So if your right Mr.C, then I do believe I can mannage it!!!!!!
                      And TerryP I'm getting ready to check out your link, thanx:cheers: :cheers:

Comment

Good luck with it TwizlZone.
                        There are an abundance of some kinds of tools and often it is difficult to find just the right one.
                        Kind of makes it difficult when there are good pop-ups and bad ones, kind of makes the "blanket" approach a bit less than desirable -- though that would be the easiest to accomplish.

With my soon to be arriving DSL connection, I will probably wind up using such a tool eventually. Till now a much practiced mouse manuever has always been sufficient. Oh well, one has to make sacrifices for bandwidth I suppose:laugh:

And now a bit of good news:thumb:

AnalogX is currently working on an anti-spam application for us.
                        I'm certain it will be yet another fine tool from AnalogX. Definitely looking forward to checking that out.
                        The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

AnalogX has a lot of good free software apps. :thumb:

Comment

Now that I'm learning the pop ups or not thing, I really didn't notice the different kinds of pop ups. Boy I'm getting frustreated! But I have noticed that some of the ones you want or need, kinda blip on the monitor, and if I'm trying to get somewhere and I see this, I know I need it. But I haven't checked into it further yet, unfortunetly a person can only do so many things at one time!!:cheers: oh and I'm QUICKLY checking out AnalogX
                            Oh ya again, I've noticed what ya saying about spam and any addresses on a page. When You go from having hardly any spams in your email until you start a web page, and if your own email address is in there WAY WATCH OUT. Could be over 75 spams or more in your email. We do need to make a difference!

Comment

You got that right TwizlZone - my lame site has generated a lot of email.
                              Actually the server is on a different domain than my addy.
                              I've noticed that the harvesters actually use 2 methods of acquiring the addy. 1 being by reading the mailto link - which is my actual address.
                              The other method, they glean the username from the URL, as is simple enough from a free page hosting from your ISP. Then they tag that onto @"domainname" from the site.
                              My ISP does deliver those emails to me as well, but the filter I have in place quickly throws them in the deleted folder, as any mail with that address is with 100% certainty spam.

Lately I've employed a whole new method, I've been using nPOP to DL the headers of the mail on my server. A quick select -Shift - select will highlight large blocks of the spam, which is then marked for deletion. Update that to the server, then on the rare occasion something was worth leaving on the server, I use Outlook Express to DL the entire message.

It does seem like a round-about way, but is actually much faster than DLing the whole thing with OE and going through the process.
                              Nice way to check for potential virii too, without ever having them on the PC - just the header is all I see.
                              why on earth do so many spams have attatchments these days anyway:?:

I guess I'm just getting bored with making new filters daily:laugh:

oh, yeah - here's that link if you want to check out nPOP - it's actually a fully functional email program, I just don't use it that way.
                              It's quite intuitive to set up, and good thing as the developer isn't terribly fluent in the English language.

Comment

Working...
                              X