Adware SE update problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adware SE update problem

I picked up a copy of Adware SE locally and after its installed there is no way to update it. There is no serial number or anything like that inside the package and if you try installing the newest version over the version that came in the retail package you cannot activate it. Anyone have any ideas how to update this software if you buy a reatail boxed version?
    I can't even find a number to their tech support (US) without making a call to Europe.

Re: Adware SE update problem

If there is no serial number or activation code, then it is most likely only a trial version and cannot be activated. You could try emailing them. The free version online works very well anyways.
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
    Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
    Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate
    Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

Originally posted by casecutter
      If there is no serial number or activation code, then it is most likely only a trial version and cannot be activated. You could try emailing them. The free version online works very well anyways.
      Its a retail boxed version from BestBuy, no trail. I think this is the way they sell it for $20. Strangely enough you must not be able to upgrade it unless you buy it online. I tried e-mailing the company but all I got back for a response was their auto mailer reply, so I think I'll take the software back to bestbuy and stick to Spybot and Etrust pest patroll for now until I find somemore reliable spyware removal software.

Comment

Good luck with that. Last time I tried to return software to Best Buy they told me they will only replace open software with an unopened copy of the same software.

Why are you trying to install the newest version? The built-in update feature is just the same as getting a new build. Why aren't you just using that?

Why the hell are you buying anything PC-related at Worst Buy? Newegg for hardware and software over Best Buy, every time. If they have a better price at best buy, at least try Circuit City, which is a little (just a little) better and probably has the same deal.

Also, why are you buying any sort of anti-spyware software? The free version of Ad-Aware SE is better than any pay software in my experience, and Spybot comes in a VERY close second. Zone Alarm, Ad-Aware, and AVG are all you need for security in any non-corporate environment.

Comment

Originally posted by Yawgm0th
          Good luck with that. Last time I tried to return software to Best Buy they told me they will only replace open software with an unopened copy of the same software.

Why are you trying to install the newest version? The built-in update feature is just the same as getting a new build. Why aren't you just using that?

Why the hell are you buying anything PC-related at Worst Buy? Newegg for hardware and software over Best Buy, every time. If they have a better price at best buy, at least try Circuit City, which is a little (just a little) better and probably has the same deal.

Also, why are you buying any sort of anti-spyware software? The free version of Ad-Aware SE is better than any pay software in my experience, and Spybot comes in a VERY close second. Zone Alarm, Ad-Aware, and AVG are all you need for security in any non-corporate environment.
          The built in updater is worthless in this version (Ad-aware SE plus). when I use it, it will tell me that a newer version is available (build 1610) and that I'm using build 1501, then when I press NEXT to update a little window pops up stating no update components are available. It directs me to this website www.lavasoft.de/news/product/info/ but the update proceedure sounds like it is for someone who ordered it on the web since I have nothing else but the full version of the software and no user name, password, or upgrade notice when Ad-aware SE was first released. Maybe I'm missing something...

The closest Circuit city is in the Minneaplolis area which is about 450 miles away from me. Is Circuit cities prices really any better than Best Buy's in the software department? I thought the last one I was at was on par with most everywhere else and maybe a little pricier than most for some stuff, but that was serveral years ago.
          I don't buy much software anyway, so ordering from Newegg is rare, it only hapens when I need certain hardware.

Yeah, I should stick to the free stuff for spyware removal, but I thought I'd go out on a limb when I picked up a retail version of Ad-aware, I thought maybe the extra feature would be nice.
          You really should have multiple spyware removal programs on your P.C though, one trusty spyware removal prorgam is definitly not enough nowdays if your P.C. is used for web browsing. Every spyware removal program you use will most likely find something different if youve used your P.C. for more than a couple days on the web shy of a fresh reformat.

Comment

Prices have nothing to do with it. Best Buy just sucks in general. Circuit City isn't much better, but it is better. Just try a Best Buy rebate some time. I'd honestly give you about a 50% chance of success assuming you do it right. And like I said, try returning something.

Ad-Aware SE Personal seems to update just fine for me. Just use that with Spybot.

Use Firefox and you'll find only occasional use for even one spyware program, or at least I have. I occasionally use Spybot if I'm working on a system that's been hit hard.

Comment

Originally posted by Yawgm0th
              Prices have nothing to do with it. Best Buy just sucks in general. Circuit City isn't much better, but it is better. Just try a Best Buy rebate some time. I'd honestly give you about a 50% chance of success assuming you do it right. And like I said, try returning something.

Ad-Aware SE Personal seems to update just fine for me. Just use that with Spybot.

Use Firefox and you'll find only occasional use for even one spyware program, or at least I have. I occasionally use Spybot if I'm working on a system that's been hit hard.
              I've heard bad things about rebates and have had rebate promises in the past that never showed or showed 2 P.C. lifetimes later, most which were from electronics, so I put little or no value in most rebates unless they are instant rebates at any store. I also hate stores that hesatate to let you return things and I usually try to avoid them, but our local Best Buy didn't have a problem with that software, maybe becuase they are new here and want to set a good example or maybe its becuase you happened to cross the path of a grumpy store clerk when you returned something. I'm not sure what their policy is but I think most stores will not return opened software.

Firefox is a growing target and Spybot isn't enough Spyware protection if your in the wrong place's. You can probably get away with it for quite some time if noone else uses your system but if you have mutiple users things get a little more complex.

Comment

About the only thing extra you get with the purchased version of adaware is the adwatch function, which I never used anyway (just another process running) personal works fine, I use it in conjunction with Spybot and all is good.
                E8600@ 4.25GHz~Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme~Foxconn Blackops~4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1625 at 1700MHz (8-8-8-24-2N) 1.916v~Asus 9800GTX~18x Pioneer 212 DL SATA DVD-RW~320GB WD SATAII~Antec True Power Trio 650W~Thermaltake Soprano~Vista Ultimate x64 SP2/Win7 RC1

Comment

Thanks Darthtanion!
                  Last edited by casecutter; 01-31-2006, 07:14 PM.
                  GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
                  AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
                  PC P&C 500W PSU
                  2TB Seagate

Comment

Ah... there it was. I saw one earlier and banned the lamer, but somehow overlooked the other message. I saw 2 to his credit but missed it. Anyway, it is gone now and the account has been permanently banned.
                    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
                    My Toys

Comment

Ahhhhh. I will edit my post appropriately. Thanks!
                      GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
                      AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
                      PC P&C 500W PSU
                      2TB Seagate

Comment

Originally posted by Darthtanion
                        Ah... there it was. I saw one earlier and banned the lamer, but somehow overlooked the other message. I saw 2 to his credit but missed it. Anyway, it is gone now and the account has been permanently banned.
                        Who's that? What are you talking about?

Comment

Some idiot posting crap that needed deletion
                          GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
                          AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
                          PC P&C 500W PSU
                          2TB Seagate

Comment

Originally posted by Spongebob
                            Firefox is a growing target and Spybot isn't enough Spyware protection if your in the wrong place's. You can probably get away with it for quite some time if noone else uses your system but if you have mutiple users things get a little more complex.
                            Still much less of a target than IE, if that's what you mean. There are other browsers, though..

Don't know about spybot, but Ad-Aware's plenty for me and am often in the "wrong places" (no pr0n, but certainly places I won't talk about here).

That said, I don't have a multi-user system and never intend to. If you've got the kids using your systems, than by all means have at least to anti-spyware programs.

Oh, I almost forgot about something. The Ad-Aware paid version's Ad-Watch is something to be avoided at all costs. I've had to work on several systems that had some major registry issues because it prevented some changes when installing programs. In one case I had to manually replace registy entries in order for the computer to use any type of executive file (.bat, .exe, and .lnk).

Comment

Yeah, thats what I was talking about. I'm not sure if anything is nitch free anymore but I agree Firefox is still a better option than IE to help avoid some of the really nasty stuff. I haven't used any other browser but Firefox for a long time except IE only to update Windows through M.S.'s Windows update and for my works homepage, neither of which work with Firefox, or atleast I haven't figured out an alternative way to work around those 2 things using Firefox.

I suggest that you pick up a copy of the latest (Feb) Maximum PC magazine, if I remember right they had an artical about this (Spyware) and had also mentioned using Firefox or an alternative browser verses IE as you say. Nothing I didn't know something about already but after I reformatted from a keymapper virus that I couldn't get off my system along with some nasty spyware ect, I think I'll boost up the security from a little to alot this time around. I never had a problem with this in the past with the little bit of internet protection I used and some common sence but I think those days have come and gone.

Thanks for the advice about Ad-aware. I think I might try the free version again which I actually used alot of in the past, thats probably what made me actually decide to fork over the cash for their software at BB. Right now I'm using Spybot S&D and Etrust's pest patrol (new to me). I'll also be trying Stopzilla since that was the alternative software I picked up when I took Ad-aware back to BB, its probably just more crappy software though, but I'll find out soon. M.S.'s antispyware also needs some work before I'll put that back on my systems again. Other than that, thats about all I've ever used in the past to help get rid of spyware but usually just relied on 1 or 2 of them to do the job along with some lame antivirus software to check on downloaded files. I found out the hard way that its not enough for me anymore.

Comment

Working...
                              X