Device Manager

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Device Manager

Hi, I have recently followed the 'From reformat to relax' guide on this website. Now for some reason when I open device manager I get just a blank page.

I have tried methods mentioned on other forums such as turn on plug and play (which was already on), and another method which is to go into regedt32 and My Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlS et\Enum, then change the permission/security settings.
    Apparently you could fix it if you checked the 'Replace permission entries on all child objects.....' box and applied those settings. The problem is when I click this box and click apply, an error message comes up saying "Registry editor could not set security in the key currently selected, or some of its subkeys', then the box becomes unchecked. Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Device Manager

If your reference to the program used to check the registry is correct, your problem may have stemmed from the fact that you're using Win2k and the guide was designed for WinXP. regedt32 is a Win2k registry editor and works in conjunction with regedit. It does not exist in WinXP (regedit does the job of both utilities in WinXP). If you've upgraded to WinXP from Win2k and did not do a full XP install, this too could be a cause of problems as the guide assumes a fresh install of WinXP and not an upgraded install.

Also, if you are making changes to the registry, you need to be logged in as an uthenticated user with Administrator rights.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

Working...
    X