Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

temporary internet files setting the cache size?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• temporary internet files setting the cache size?

does anyone know how to set the default size for temporary internet files cache size. for example when i create a new user i want it to automactically pick up on the default size that i set and not what windows/internet explorer chooses. im thinking maybe with group policy editor but dont know where to find the setting? or is there another way to do it possibly with regedit or some other program.

thanks for any help

Once it is set for the browser, it should become universal (at least in principal). You can adjust the size limitations by going to

Internet Options-->General tab-->Temporary Internet Files-->"Settings" button-->"Amount of Disk Space to Use"
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

Originally posted by Darthtanion
      Once it is set for the browser, it should become universal (at least in principal). You can adjust the size limitations by going to

Internet Options-->General tab-->Temporary Internet Files-->"Settings" button-->"Amount of Disk Space to Use"
      Do you know if this works gloabally? thanks!

EG

Comment

I beleive that's what he ment by "it should become universal" :)

Comment

Im sorry i understood what he ment by that I guess I should of asked does anyone know for sure if this was the case im gonna try it out in a little bit but just for referance? thanks

Comment

Having opted for a much better browser years ago, I'm not really sure.

It is really quite an easy thing to check, however. Simply log into an account, set the size, logout, and log in as another user. If the size is the same in both, then you have your answer.

Why do you need to set a max for the cache of all the users anyway? Is available disk space a problem?

Comment

Comment

Maybe, but I don't want to post it until I try something, so it will have to wait till I get off work...

Comment

thanks!

Comment

you can fix this via group policy in XP pro. there may be an option in GPEDIT.MSC for it but you'll have to dig around.

another thing you can try although it isn't recommended by alot of people but it does work. create a new user account login as that user set all the settings the way you want for the default user [default new users of that machine]. set everything office toolbars/ie toolbars&settings\favorites, any apps you want installed set the default setting you want for the new user. NOTE: don't use your account because it will copy all your documents to the default profile as well as some settings you may not want other users to have.

then login under the administrator account open windows explorer, go to folder options and set explorer so you can see system files and hidden files and uncheck hide protected files. navigate to c:\documents and settings\username where username is the user you created and set all the settings for.. highlight all the files and copy them to C:\documents and settings\default user

now when you create any new users and those users log in they will get all the settings you setup for the account you setup and copied to the default profile.

Comment

thankyou very much

Comment

Working...
                      X