Firewall Config

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firewall Config

Hey. I'm just setin up Outpost Firewall since I seem to be constantly getin CW spyware crap.

Within the Allow and Block, I've got listed:
    ALG.exe
    svchost.exe
    netbios
    system
    Each using different ports (the svchost alone has around 15 open). Are these ports needed to be open to run I Explorer etc? Or can I close everything and simply create rights for the applications I like?

You should let them run.

Alg.exe is XP's built-in firewall, though. You shouldn't have both firewalls running. Go to Run and type in servces.msc and hit ok. Find Application Layer Gateway and right click it. From the menu that pulls down, click properties. Set it to disabled inside properties.

However, having a firewall won't really solve the problem you may be having. Most spyware can get around it and isn't affected by it. To remove spyware, I suggest you get Ad-Aware from www.lavasoftusa.com and CWshredder from http://www.softpedia.com/public/scri...ero/10-17-150/.

Comment

I have both of those progs, but I'm just tryin to tighten security a little.

Comment

You probably don't need Netbios running, usually just a waste. I also like Spybot Search & Destroy best for spyware removal as it seems to get updated the most often. If you want a free, no-hassle email account, go to Netscape. Have had one for years. No spam, no crap, no calls home to MS.

Comment

Working...
        X