No announcement yet.

New FireFox 0.8 (aka Firebird)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Downloading it now to see what all the fuss is about. :)

Comment

I don't think you'll be disappointed :)

Comment

Originally posted by Mista K6 [B]
        theres no "Go to Folder" option.
        Yes there is, the show button will open your explorer and show you where the downloaded file is located on your harddrive.

Comment

Originally posted by The__tweaker
          Yes there is, the show button will open your explorer and show you where the downloaded file is located on your harddrive.
          i missed that , oh well...
          it's not a feature i use anyway :)

Comment

Appears it only does it on big downloads. I was downloading small stuff, like 250k, and it would just show something that said "all downloads are done" in the lower right hand corner. Ah well, at least it works :shrug:. Thx, : peace2: Mista K6

Comment

Originally posted by Mista K6
              Appears it only does it on big downloads. I was downloading small stuff, like 250k, and it would just show something that said "all downloads are done" in the lower right hand corner.
              It closes the download manager after the downloads are finished. (default setting)

Go to "options" > "downloads" and untick "Close the download manager when all downloads are complete" button and there you have it. :)

This particular setting is a must for me and I was very relieved to see that it's available.

Comment

Ok, I've been testing this browser for a few days now to see how it works. I've set it up just the way I want it and used it as my default browser.

I really like the tabbing, googlebar and some of the other functions this software offers, the dl manager works ok for daily smaller downloads even if it misses some things, such as broken download warnings, like it is now you get no warning and must keep track of the size of the file to check that you got it all and not just a part of it when the downloads are reported finished. This is no biggie as I'll use the powerful Getright for bigger multiple files anyway, so that I can set priority, speedlimits & server logins etc.

Now I have a couple of questions that maybe someone can answer:

#1 Why is animations like smilies slighly slower in firefox than IE6? The fast blinking :wow: smilie clearly shows this when I open
                upp the two browsers side by side and compare them. I have no idea, no biggie but then again it is strange.

#2 See attached pic, how can I solve this? The posting window shouldn't be that small, it's very annoying to type my posts in that.
                Do I miss a plugin or something?

I have had a few random sites that haven't loaded up in firefox, (nothing happened just the white page) but after copying the link over to IE6 they have loaded instantly, I have no clue why but I can live with it. Another weird thing is that sometimes when trying to post on TT especially with attached pics the browser load until it's done but then just stops and says "done" in the status bar without actually forward me anywhere, no error mess no anything.

Edit: It actually happened trying to post this so I opened up a new window and loaded TT to discover that the new post was actually here even if I never recived any confirmation.

Anyway it's a great software if only i could work out these issues. Any feedback on the questions would be appriciated. /Thx :cheers:

Comment

Ok, I can't find away around this and it bugs the hell of out of me. In IE you can simple right click on an image on the internet and copy it. Thats not in Firefox, only copying its location or saving it is, how can one get around that? It's kind of annoying when you want to say to someone "hey, look at this" . : peace2: Mista K6

Comment

Originally posted by Mista K6
                    In IE you can simple right click on an image on the internet and copy it. Thats not in Firefox, only copying its location or saving it is, how can one get around that? It's kind of annoying when you want to say to someone "hey, look at this"
                    What I also miss is that little auto popup on every image in IE6 so that you don't have to right click to save it.

I just noticed that Firefox do not stop certain popup scripts from maximizing the windows to 99% of full size, even though I was told it would.
                    This and some other things/issues make me prefer IE6 over this browser at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by The__tweaker

Anyway it's a great software if only i could work out these issues. Any feedback on the questions would be appriciated. /Thx :cheers:
                      I truly think these points you make are primarily caused by the relaxed standards used by Internet Explorer.
                      Not that I'm whining about IE, mind you. It's simply a fact.
                      Even viewing my own site in FireFox for the first time I caught some basic HTML errors that IE forgave on all counts.

There most certainly is a standard for how many frames per second display when utilizing an animated .gif. In the past I have seen discussion on this issue regarding the manner in which Internet Explorer handled these files.
                      I don't recall the exact differences in framerate, but I do think IE was displaying in a manner out of synch with the standard. (long ago this forum had a brief overview of this matter too - during the "Period of Overabundant Smilies" as I shall refer to it :D )

As to the form size for posting?
                      I'm truly not sure, but I'm assuming again perhaps to do with the standards?
                      Perhaps this is the way it is coded to look, and we are seeing this for the first time?
                      Maybe something for the PHP folks at TweakTown to look into?
                      I'm just not sure.
                      But, for the time being - I can cope alright, though it certainly is a big difference.

As to the issue of not being forwarded properly.
                      I truly don't think that is a FireFox issue - as it has happened to me numerous times using Internet Explorer.
                      Server glitch, traffic load, or whatever?
                      I truly doubt it is due to the browser itself in any way.

Don't know as I've actually cleared up anything, but maybe a little input and possibly some relief on an issue or 2.

For the copy function for images;

this extension is 5kb and provides a "copy image to clipboard" option in the right-click menu :)
                      The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

Agreed with Mr C on most counts. :) IE does limit the speed at which smilies work. I customised my own smiley to move very quick, but when played in IE it went back to normal speed. I guess Firefox has it's own limit.

Plugins are also a big part, like the copy to clipboard one mentioned. You can't expect everything to be the same as IE staight out of the box (so to speak). There's no point, and MS would probably sue. :)

However, I tried here at work and I'm not overly impressed with it, mainly due to the trouble I had configuring it to work with the proxy server (and exclusions to the proxy) here at work...

Comment

Anyone else having problems with the QuickTime plugin? It's working fine in my 98SE Firefox install but I can't get it to work in XP Pro. I can manually move the files or let the QuickTime installer do it for me but it still won't work. Anyone have any clue how to fix this?

Edit: I don't think it's a problem anymore. Evidently, I need Flash rather than QuickTime. I might have problems if I find something Flash can't play the QuickTime can though.:?:

Comment

Thanks Mr C.! :thumb:

I didn't know you had to install different extensions.

Yawgmoth, I had some trouble with a video plugin (java something), but I decided to use it :shrug: . : peace2: Mista K6

Comment

Truthfully I view Firefox as a very reasonably secure foundation to build a good browser upon.
                              There are oodles of extensions out there which can be added to customize the browser to your specific needs/desires.

Currently I'm using the Browsertab extensions and the Copy Image extensions.

Copy Image is as straightforward as it could possibly be.

Browsertab Extensions added so many options/control to the functionality of the tabbing vs. new window that I must confess I haven't quite got it all worked out just yet - but it certainly looks promising so far :thumb:

There's a couple other extensions that look interesting, but I'm in no rush.

I absolutely like the extension management tools built into Firefox - it couldn't be any easier to install, or delete any of the available extensions.

I'm personally overjoyed with my new browser in a kit.
                              The lack of Active X is what lured me and I think ability to add things one at a time which suit my tastes is what has made me a staunch supporter of Firefox.

I've reccomended it to several friends and those who took the chance are truly having a lot of fun with it:thumb:
                              The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

i remember when i first started using it (called Phoenix at the time and still is for the profile location) and i couldn't get eough of the extenstions and the advanced tweaking options. But now I'm am quite happy with the default configuration with some minor tweaking and gui customization.
                                But that just goes back to Mr. C's point, you can make it any way you want it

Comment

Working...
                                X