Unable to delete downloaded files from Kazaa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unable to delete downloaded files from Kazaa

Has anyone ever experienced this? I use WinXP Pro SP1 and the latest version of Kazaa. Some files I download just don't delete no matter what I do!!! I get the 'might be used by another person or program" message. Even if I turn everything off and disconnect from the Internet I still can't delete it. I even copied and pasted the file into another directory and again no luck.

Anyway help would be great!
    Thanks
    Flunders

P.S. I don't get this with all the files just the odd one at times.

Do more than one person use your machine? If no, then do you have more than one login name on it?

Comment

No just the one account. I also have sophos antivirus fully updated and it picks up nothing so I assume it's not a virus. It's just bloody annoying!!

Comment

login with an admin acct and change the permissons of the files in question to 'full access' for your acct then delete the files

Comment

Actually, it sounds like a problem I've seen with other P2P apps. Sometimes they kind of 'keep a hold' on files, even if the program is shut down. Best way to do it is to try delete the files when you boot up, before you run Kazaa.

Comment

Im not sure if you tried this, its something that usually works for me when I cant delete something. Besides closing all the processes open, you may need to close explorer.exe. If you do that,y your GUI is gone, so before hand, open up a command window by going run, type "cmd". Then close explorer.exe from the task manager. using CD foldername (change directory) navigate to your shared folder, then use DEL filename to delete the files.

After that, in the task manager go file>run and type "explorer" and your up and running again.

Comment

Originally posted by flunders
              Has anyone ever experienced this? I use WinXP Pro SP1 and the latest version of Kazaa. Some files I download just don't delete no matter what I do!!! I get the 'might be used by another person or program" message. Even if I turn everything off and disconnect from the Internet I still can't delete it. I even copied and pasted the file into another directory and again no luck.

Anyway help would be great!
              Thanks
              Flunders

P.S. I don't get this with all the files just the odd one at times.

I'm assuming you have amin rights, and if thats the case I've had that file deletion problem happen alot in WinXP even when everything associated with the file seems to be shut down, I wish I knew what causes it but I haven't quite been able to put the finger on it yet. Do what Beefy said and reboot. You should be able to delete it after you reboot, its always worked for me.

Comment

Open regedit and go to:
                HKEY_CLASSES_ROOTSystemFileAssociations.avishellex PropertyHandler

Delete the value you find there.
                This is due to XP (explorer in particular) trying to create a preview for it. Now because the file is corrupted or incomplete, it cannot read it properly, hence, it will not release the file.
                This prevents explorer from doing this.
                As usual, backup the registry key before deleting it.

To correct the misbehavior in Windows XP, remove the following registry key.

"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREClassesCLSID{87D62D 94-71B3-4b9a-9489-5FE6850DC73E}InProcServer32"
                (Delete the 'InProcServer32' folder)

This will prevent Explorer from loading shmedia.dll in response to file property queries on these files. This will not effect your ability to play files, get file attributes, or even view thumbnails.

;)

Comment

Comment

Working...
                  X