Office update stops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Office update stops

I've been getting a message saying that I'm not the 'administrator', and I can't update Office XP Pro. I followed the instructions, but still couldn't get it running. Didn't have a problem before. What happened now?

Here's the page I got:

Error! Unable to check for updates on this computer Help

The ActiveX control used by the Office Update detection tool failed to load. This may have occurred for one of the following reasons:

You do not have administrative privileges for this computer. If you want to install Office updates, please contact your system administrator.
    You clicked the No button on a security dialog box that appeared while the control was loading. Be sure to click Yes in the security dialog boxes that may appear when the control is loading.
    There may be a problem with the caching mechanism in Microsoft Internet Explorer. Use the following steps to clear the cache in Internet Explorer:
    On the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
    On the General tab, click the Delete Files... button.
    Select the Delete all offline content check box, and then click OK. (The file deleting process may take up to several minutes depending on the size of the cache. )
    Click OK when the process is done.
    Your Internet Explorer security settings may be set to disable the running of signed Active X controls. To avoid lowering the security level for your regular Internet browsing, you can include the Microsoft Office Online Web site as a trusted site in Internet Explorer:
    On the Tools menu, click Internet Options and then click the Security tab.
    In the list of Web content zones, click the Trusted sites icon.
    Click Sites.
    Clear the Require Server verification (https) for all sites in this zone check box .
    In the Add this Website to the zone box, enter the Internet address http://office.microsoft.com.
    Click Add.
    Click OK, and then click OK again.

If you're running a WinXP machine (particularly with multiple user profiles), then you need to make sure your login is set up with full administrative privileges.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

I checked that already. I logged in as 'Administrator', went to check my privileges. I'm the only person who can assign new accounts, etc.

Comment

here are a few things that come to my mind...
        1) You are using a browser other than IE which is not able to work with ActiveX controls.
        2) If you are using IE than you have ActiveX controls blocked in your settings in IE.
        3) You are deliberately saying "No" when the security warning asks you to run the ActiveX control.
        4) You are using a program like Norton/WebWasher which is blocking execution of scripts and other ActiveX controls in IE.
        Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
        Last Updated:
        10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
        ======================
        jabber : [email protected]
        =======================
        Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
        yabaa dabaa doo...
        Customized for 1024x768

Comment

Working...
        X