No announcement yet.

Firewall Alternatives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i find Norton Internet Security 2003 Pro pretty effective...ive always been a big fan with Norton products, never had a virus (well yeah, but norton has stopped it :D), over 4-5 years.

if u decide to use norton net security, make sure u configure which programs can access the net and which cant...u can do this later, but its easier at the start. :thumb:

Comment

Originally posted by Thoric ive always been a big fan with Norton products, never had a virus (well yeah, but norton has stopped it :D), over 4-5 years.
      Yep same here, It's not freeware but still. I use Norton as firewall and as virus protection on all my systems since a couple of years back.. As long as it's correctly configurated the solution rocks..:hammer:

One thing is for sure, I wouldn't wanna be the hairy ass virus tryin' to infect my comps cause they are beein' ERASED!:flames:

Oh and hackers, good luck cause you'll need it.. :rofl:

Comment

not a fan of norton myself, too much of a system hog even with backgound scanning turned off (don't remember what norton callls their version of it)

i find that useing your brain and staying informed is the best AV (match that with a free online scan or AVG for the scanning of individual files and ya can't go wrong)

Comment

AVG and ZA and my preferences for protection.

Comment

Originally posted by minibubba
            not a fan of norton myself, too much of a system hog even with backgound scanning turned off (don't remember what norton callls their version of it)
            Well It strains my P2 350 slightly but anything from 500 Mhz and up won't even notice it. It wasn't any more noticeable on my P3 650 than on my P4 or Amd XP. Anyway I'll hope you find something in your likenin.. :)

Comment

Get a router. That's what I did. :)

Comment

Routers ain't much better than some software firewalls either so don't fool ya self there either. A lot of common sense will go a long way.

Comment

Originally posted by Wiggo
                  Routers ain't much better than some software firewalls either so don't fool ya self there either. A lot of common sense will go a long way.
                  That's true, alot can be done to keep ya privacy on the web even though a fw is recommended to protect valuable data, but for that task nothing beats a plain cdrw.. :2cents:

Comment

Shields up is a good site for testing which ever FW you got.

Comment

Originally posted by Anti
                      don't worry about that test...cos most of the common firewalls like sygate and zone alarm will clear that test pretty easily.
                      Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
                      Last Updated:
                      10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
                      ======================
                      jabber : [email protected]
                      =======================
                      Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
                      yabaa dabaa doo...
                      Customized for 1024x768

Comment

Well I've been using Sygate now for a few weeks and am liking it. I just installed AVG but so far its great, not as much as a hog IMO as norton. Thanks for all the input:)

Comment

True but, you can get Leak Test there. Not all of them pass that. Last time I tried ZA it didn't. It's been a while though.

Plus it shows if your ports are just blocked or not visable.

Comment

Originally posted by Anti
                            I tried it out and this is what I got only using the firewall on my router:

and this is running leak test with Zone Alarm active:

i guess ZA is as good as they say it is :thumb:

Comment

Glad to see they fixed that and, that they are stealth now. Like I said it had been a while. The thing I love about TPF is the minimal system resources that it uses.

Comment

Working...
                              X