Killdisk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Killdisk

I'm selling one of my old machines to my cousin. He I don't worry about but he knows some shady people and I do online shopping and banking so I know to erase the HDD before he acquires it.. but what erasure method is enough...

I notice one was like a 35 pass, I know I need more than a 1 pass would the 3 or 7 pass DoD ones make it very unlikely anything could be reconstructed and acquired or should I go for more than 7?

Coolermaster HAF 932
    PC Power & Cooling 1200 watter
    30inch H-IPS for work and 27inch HP for games
    Core i7 975 @ 4.6GhZ
    ASUS P6T v2
    12GB DDR3 Corsair RAM @ 1866 now
    Plextor BD/DVD-RW
    LG DVD-RW second drive
    128GB SSD x2 RAID<-- OS and apps
    2x300GB Raptor, scratch/work drive
    2x 2TB for storage
    Denon and Boston Acoustics sound system
    HT Omega Claro Halo
    1x 5970
    Win 7 Ultimate x64; dual boot with Ubuntu 10.04 x64

Re: Killdisk

Don't worry guys..

I talked to a friend from another forum who works in forensics and he did trial runs and said the 7 pass DOD option will pretty much make stuff unrecoverable....

35 passes or more really aren't necessary cause it is virtually impossible to make most stuff out; according to him, after the 7 pass DOD wipe....

Although he then told me... those people even if crooks shouldn't have forensic level software and equipment so a one pass should suffice however being crooks you never know, they tend to not follow the law so he said just do the 7 pass they won't be able to find out anything after that he pretty much said..

Coolermaster HAF 932
    PC Power & Cooling 1200 watter
    30inch H-IPS for work and 27inch HP for games
    Core i7 975 @ 4.6GhZ
    ASUS P6T v2
    12GB DDR3 Corsair RAM @ 1866 now
    Plextor BD/DVD-RW
    LG DVD-RW second drive
    128GB SSD x2 RAID<-- OS and apps
    2x300GB Raptor, scratch/work drive
    2x 2TB for storage
    Denon and Boston Acoustics sound system
    HT Omega Claro Halo
    1x 5970
    Win 7 Ultimate x64; dual boot with Ubuntu 10.04 x64

Comment

Re: Killdisk

Originally posted by DeathViperX View Post
      Don't worry guys..

I talked to a friend from another forum who works in forensics and he did trial runs and said the 7 pass DOD option will pretty much make stuff unrecoverable....

35 passes or more really aren't necessary cause it is virtually impossible to make most stuff out; according to him, after the 7 pass DOD wipe....

Although he then told me... those people even if crooks shouldn't have forensic level software and equipment so a one pass should suffice however being crooks you never know, they tend to not follow the law so he said just do the 7 pass they won't be able to find out anything after that he pretty much said..
      I also think so.

Comment

Working...
      X