cannot uninstall Panda antivirus software

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cannot uninstall Panda antivirus software

i installed the trial version of pandas antivirus softwareyesterday, i then chose to uninstall it and install AVG instead. I went to add/remove programs and atteempted to uninstall, it went though the first menu and started to uninstall it when "cannot delete ICL_CFG.DLL:Access is denied" came up and i had to choose to exit uninstallment. Doesn anyone know what could cause me not to be able to uninstall it, if so feel free to comment. Thanks

Re: cannot uninstall Panda antivirus software

Make sure the program is not running and that it isn't showing up in the Processes portion of the Task Manager. If it is running (even hidden in the background) you will often get this type of error. It cannot delete the file because it is in use.

Don't know if this will solve your problem, but it is the first place to start looking for the answer.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

Man I had this VERY SAME problem. I don't rememer how I got rid of it though..I know it was a real pain though. I remember system restore didn't fix it, and I think it messed up my system for a while.

Good luck

Comment

Panda Software's 2006 products have a very serious bug in them. Their setup program installs five new services in your Windows XP Services folder, all of which start automatically. When you try to uninstall the software, the uninstallation program tries to delete those services, but it cannot, because they are active processes in your computer's memory. Your computer may lock, and you may only be able to restart it by cutting off its electric power and reconnecting it. You will then have to start Windows XP in Safe Mode to uninstall the software. Panda is aware of this serious issue but has not been able to solve it. I have posted a special new thread about it on the MajorGeeks forums, but a bizarre MajorGeeks co-owner named Tim Tibbetts, aka Major Attitude, instead of thanking me for it, has unleashed a storm of abuse upon me at http://forum.majorgeeks.com/showthre...4&page=1&pp=20This hotheaded guy (as he describes himself) uses foul street language and is beyond repair. However, this issue is extremely important and I would urge all of my fellow TweakTown Forums users not to use Panda's new software until this major bug has been fixed.

Comment

I don't understand the issue. Just either start up in safe mode and delete them, of stop the processes and then run the uninstalling program. All antivirus programs create processes that can cause grief when trying to uninstall. One should be mindfull of that fact when changing antivirus programs like their shirt. It is never a good idea.
          GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
          AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
          Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
          Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
          Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
          PC P&C 500W PSU
          2TB Seagate
          Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

As it is not a usual behavior of the application, it is considered an issue, and as an issue, it will be treated on [sic] our Technical Support Department." Unlike you and me, most computer users do not know how to disable their Windows XP services or how to stop their running processes. Many users don't even know how to go into Safe Mode and what they can and cannot do in it. They will panic when the uninstallation program locks their computer and there is no way for them to turn it off. Panda Software should not have released this software before resolving this issue. It should now withdraw this software from all websites that have trial versions for download, recall all the copies that have been sold, refund their buyers their purchase price, and inform all its resellers to stop selling this software until this issue is resolved. Your statement "All antivirus programs create processes that can cause grief when trying to uninstall" is inaccurate, to be charitable, and your conclusion, "One should be mindfull of that fact when changing antivirus programs like their shirt. It is never a good idea" is both gratuitous and rude.
            Last edited by groucho; 09-24-2005, 09:14 AM.

Comment

While I agree that I may have not used much tact in writing my response, too many people out there who do not know how to stop processes or use safe mode feel it is no problem to just download and install programs off the internet. If a person has no knowledge of how to uninstall programs other than windows uninstaller, they should NOT be downloading any program to install on their PC. I have fixed more "broken" PCs for people who say "I just downloaded and installed this and now my PC doesn't work" or "now I have an Xrated search engine" or what have you. I do not sympathize with people like that as they treat the internet like a toy and have no respect for their PC. While the problem you are describing is very frustrating and annoying, it just goes to show that we need to be very careful about what we download and use. You should not have taken offense to what I said as I never insulted you and I just was expressing my point. If people took the time to understand how their PCs worked, they would not do this to themselves in the first place.

If a person does not know how to fix their PC, they absolutely should NOT download and install programs off the web. PERIOD.

And using bold letter is like using capitals, which is also very rude.
              GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
              AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
              PC P&C 500W PSU
              2TB Seagate

Comment

Hi casecutter, you seem to know so very clearly what computer users should and should not do. Unfortunately, many people do exactly what you say they should not do. It is your job and mine on this forum to help them avoid such mistakes. BTW, my previous message was not in bold type, it was in larger point size than yours, which made it look bold to you. But you are right, both large and bold text is indeed rude, like shouting, and therefore this message is in normal point size.

Comment

I understand your point completely and it is a good thing to post what you did about being cautious of Panda software. I am not trying to tell people what they should to download on their PC. I just hate when someone freely downloads anything and everything (and I am not inferring you) and they mangle their OS and blame it on the software. Except in the case of spyware/malware, it is almost never the software's fault for the damage it does to the OS. I just wish people would educate themselves a little bit before they decide to download and install something just because it's free. It's usually free for a reason. Most freeware does not have all the bells and whistles to make it easy to use like commercially available software. If you ask me, Panda should have a warning that the freeware is intended for advanced users. In fact most freeware should say that. I know it will never happen, it's just one of my pet peeves.

That being said, I am glad you did bring this problem with Panda to light so that I don't make the mistake of installing it. I hate any program that makes me take extreme measures to uninstall it.
                  GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
                  AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
                  PC P&C 500W PSU
                  2TB Seagate

Comment

Originally posted by Baxter984 View Post
                    i installed the trial version of pandas antivirus softwareyesterday, i then chose to uninstall it and install AVG instead. I went to add/remove programs and atteempted to uninstall, it went though the first menu and started to uninstall it when "cannot delete ICL_CFG.DLL:Access is denied" came up and i had to choose to exit uninstallment. Doesn anyone know what could cause me not to be able to uninstall it, if so feel free to comment. Thanks

Panda antivirus and AVG are too slow and uneffective if you ask me. I've been using only Nod32 for the past 3 years and I've been very happy with it.

Comment

ok so here's my problem and hopefully you can help me with it. I'm running on an old computer an Hp Pavilion 753N (this computer is only for my sims games since I do have new ones). For some reason Panda came with it when we got it and I don't want it on there. I've tried uninstalling it and it says it's uninstalled but every time I restart, there it is again. Now I'm normally good at computers and I know alot about them but can anyone tell me why it wont uninstall or how to uninstall it for good?

Comment

Your Uninstaller 2008

Comment

no its an older version

Comment

I meant a program called Your Uninstaller 2008, it will uninstall EVERYTHING

Also, have you tried uninstalling it in safe mode? Sometimes you have to do that with a antivirus app
                            Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 06-02-2008, 11:16 PM.

Comment

Panda is quite possibly the single worst program to get uninstalled without a complete system wipe and format. Good luck with it, my advice is to back up your data and wipe it clean.
                              GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
                              AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
                              PC P&C 500W PSU
                              2TB Seagate

Comment

Working...
                              X