To Buy or Not to Buy..That is the Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To Buy or Not to Buy..That is the Question

Ive had my old Maxtor HD for a while and it is starting to crap out on me. I have decided to git a new one but after doing reaserch ive found out that some people prefer WD over Maxtor and vice versa. weeel, gimme feedback on what you prefer and why. :shoot3: :snip: :snip: :cheers: :devil: :smokin:
    **LAPTOP**
    Core 2 Duo "Memron" T7500 (2.2ghz)
    Intel Crestline GL960/GM965/PM965
    4096mb DDR2-667 5-5-5-12
    NVIDIA Quadro FX 570M (512 MB)

I prefer the WD "JB" series of HDD's and as I'm an overclocker they work well but Maxtors tend to die when the PCI is well out of spec as I like overclock the whole system to get the most from it.

Comment

Can't say I have any expeirnce with either, but im looking into a WD 120GB 8MB Buffer. I would suggest that, which ever you go with, get 8MB Buffer!

Comment

ok want the fastest IDE drive possible? the new WD raptors, im talking 10,000 RPM but they come in 36gig so you would need 3 (3*36 = 108) to get enough storage and of course put under Raid 0 you have a nice little 108 gig 10,000 RPM hdd, but the price is i think 196 per 1 so 3*196 = 588 and of course you need the controllor

Comment

t00lb0x

You need to read some reviews on the Raptor drives.

Comment

The WD Raptor maybe fast (in certain tests) but they're also small in capacity, run hot (look at ya case coolin'), are very expensive and Serial ATA only so I'll stick with the JB's thanx (unless ya won't to donate one or two).

Comment

I would recommend WD, as I have a WD in my current box right now. I do a fair amount of downloading, and moving files. It seems to be a good HDD, and fast :O)

Comment

Woteva u do don't buy a big(more than 40 or 60) gig seagate barricuda as the larger drives are very slow. As for ure two choices i have a 40 gig wd in my other computer and its great. :thumb:

Comment

Ya want speed?

*Looks over at his p4 running ultra320 scsi*

:D

Comment

ok you win the raptor sucks, i was just impressed that is the fastest ide drive there is

Comment

Seagate Barricuda 800 gig SATA HDD is definately the way to go. It is awesome.

Chaos:flames:

Comment

and hot, how you gonna cool it down?

Comment

I would recomend getting a WD they are a qualirt brand most ppl trust, Maxor is also a good brand but some of their models are not so great. Seagate are good drives but out of all the drives that come for repair/replace at a place i know are seagate after about the 1year mark. I personally have had about 10+ WD drives throught the years and only one 20gig failed but was replaced free of charge but that was a bit my fault as it accidently :rolleyes: got mishandeled. O also the drives with the 8mb cache give you a nice boost in preformance I really recommend thouse. Also i would not waste money on SATA unless you really have to have the newest and latest things as they seem to be slower then regular drives... ya i tried one the 80 gig seagate and i can tell you that the 100gig WD 133ata beats that drive any day

Comment

Maxpowers

WD doesn't make an ata133 drive. Maxtor is the current leader in the SATA benchmarks overall.

Comment

Go WD they have been fine with me! My mates IBM broke down and it was new :(

ta ta

Comment

Working...
                              X