No announcement yet.

Intel or AMD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes that would have been back when the Athlon and Durons were being strangled by SDRAM which caused the CPU many wait states while the memory caught up with demand which has since been fixed by the arrival of DDR SDRAM.
    Also if ya go the P4 way then forget about any references that you were plannin' on usin' against the PIII as it's a totally different stripe of cat and most ppl panicked when they first came out they were gettin' temps as high or higher than ppl with Athlons were gettin'.
    Now as ya are in the US ya'll get the best prices in the world but places like here where I just built this 2.4 P4 based on a GA-8PE667 Pro and GF4Ti4200 128MB VIVO with PC3200 RAM for the same money I'm about to build an almost exact duplicate of this but using an EP-8RDA+ and XP2600+ so where you have the luxury of better pricing some of us have to put up with a great price difference.
    Now there's also about to be a few spanners thrown in the equation with the Barton cored 512MB L2 cached Athlon about to be launched followed about 8 weeks later by the new Athlon64's so maybe if ya can hold of a couple of months longer to see what developes with these you may just wind up bein' better future proofed.
    Anyhow I've had my say so I'll let the ppl from your side of the world quote specs and prices to ya as they're in a better position to do knowin' your country better but at least you'er better informed now on what the situation is now plus what will soon be (also remember that AMD will be cuttin' CPU prices durin' these releases so at least a few weeks wait will pay in the end). :devil win

Oh and as I asked before if we knew more about the uses that you require out of it an even better system can be worked out to suit you.

do you require true V8 muscle or the top end power of a turbocharged screamin' 4? :?:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

"I have a brand new P4 2.4B @ 2.7GHz here and it's only just faster in the real world terms than my XP2200+"

I think that is strange. :?:

I found that my ol 2,26 performs equal to two XP2400+ comps that my friend owns... In 3dmark & pc mark and they also have Ti4600 graphics and double my amount of memory...

:confused:

Comment

I really like Intel, but i'm no maniac that refuse to open up my eyes if things should change.

Right know there is no way i could build a amd rig that outperforms my current setup with the same amount of cash, at least not where i live. So i'll guess i stick with intel a bit longer...

:thumb:
        :cheers:

Comment

But benchmarks arn't my priority as this does bench very well thank you but it's when I do what I do every day that I feel the difference and with what I do I find that the P4 lacks though someone who does a lot of video/audio editing will perfer the P4 but again that's not my thing. As I've said before "there are horses for certain courses". : peace2:

Comment

For the apps. I use and work (prof. open GL CAD/CAM/CAE) Intel is head and shoulders over AMD - even the Athlon MP setups I've tried seem to come up a little short
            I also find Intel cpu's w/ intel chipsets are the most stable for my 3 and 4 year old daughters playing Reader Rabbit and Jumpstart & pounding away on the keyboard.

But I still prefer AMD for my own toy :D

Comment

I have 4 machines, 3 of them run an AMD CPU, 1 runs a P4. While I've had the best overclocking with the P4, the price/performance is much better going with an AMD system.

True, Intel CPU/Intel Chipset combos are pretty much unkillable, but with the advent of the nForce 1/2 chipset and a few other non-Via solutions, many people *****ing about lack of a solid chipset have to shut up.

I'm not anti-Intel, it's just cheaper to build more of a computer when getting an AMD solution.

Comment

Originally posted by Wiggo
                ... Some utterly useless **** about how Intel cpu's aren't very close to AMD prices ...
                I'm not trying to start anythying here man, but let me give it to you this way... PRIME EXAMPLE! I can pick up a P4 2.2ghz for 10 bucks less than an 1800+, 19 bucks less for a 1900+, 23 bucks less than a 2000+, 31 bucks less than a 2100+, and 43 bucks less than a 2200+ ... btw, the p4 2.4ghz i can also pick up for cheaper than the 2200+

I'm not gonna sit here and bash you, but you have to realize man, prices aren't the same worldwide... here, it's smarter, when saving a buck, to buy Intel... (And not to meantion, the performance is there too.) Infact, the only intel proc I can't get for under 400 CDN$ is the 3.06ghz p4, it's still at 680 CDN$ ... But nevertheless... The P4's, up until the 2.53 (2.53 is about dead on price wise with the 2200+ (give or take a buck or two since yesterday's prices))... Anyway, point is, in some places (again here is one), Intel proc's are CHEAPER or the SAME PRICE per mhz or hell, even per rating than their AMD counterpart (w/ the exception of the 3ghz p4... but then again, the 3000+ aint' cheap either).

Comment

Originally posted by Suicide
                  I'm not trying to start anythying here man, but let me give it to you this way... PRIME EXAMPLE! I can pick up a P4 2.2ghz for 10 bucks less than an 1800+, 19 bucks less for a 1900+, 23 bucks less than a 2000+, 31 bucks less than a 2100+, and 43 bucks less than a 2200+ ... btw, the p4 2.4ghz i can also pick up for cheaper than the 2200+

What retailer are you buing through? Also note that the prices can be a little different in other parts of the world.

Comment

Infact, the only intel proc I can't get for under 400 CDN$ is the 3.06ghz p4, it's still at 680 CDN$
                    Wow . I would also like to know where you can buy P4 3.06ghz for less than 400 CDN$.:?:

Comment

Yep those prices don't add up here either as here an XP1800+ is around $140aus and a P4 2.0A is $320aus. :(

Now to the top end and an XP2700+ is about $680aus and a P4 3.06GHz $1300aus. :cry:

Now go figure why a lot of us here would rather go with AMD. :devil:

Comment

Yeah - I usually get pretty good prices quoted to me by my supplier, but a P4 2.8 will still set me back more than $570cdn and a 3.06 is over $900cdn for retail boxes
                        Even a 2.66 is still a couple $$'s over $400

maybe you could give me a link or a phone number?

Comment

In Sweden we pay:

2.53 ghz = 250 us$

2.66 ghz = 350 us$

3.06 ghz = 650 us$

I want the last one, and i want a 2700+, btw i want a whole lot of other stuff to. :cool:

work work work... :(

Comment

Originally posted by Looper
                            Wow . I would also like to know where you can buy P4 3.06ghz for less than 400 CDN$.:?:
                            Read my statement again... The 3.06 is the only proc I can't get for 400 or under.. and sorry checked today's prices, and the 2.8 is going for 403 CDN$ (btw, these are cost, so tack on 15 bucks is what they go for retail + PST + GST (15% tax))

Comment

Originally posted by Morgan_Lander
                              What retailer are you buing through? Also note that the prices can be a little different in other parts of the world.
                              The part you quoted... read the paragraph below that, specifically the first sentance :hammer:

Comment

Originally posted by RDR
                                Yeah - I usually get pretty good prices quoted to me by my supplier, but a P4 2.8 will still set me back more than 0cdn and a 3.06 is over 0cdn for retail boxes
                                Even a 2.66 is still a couple $$'s over 0

maybe you could give me a link or a phone number?
                                Hit me up on AIM and i'll give you some info.

Comment

Working...
                                X