Recent price hike on DDR Ram

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recent price hike on DDR Ram

Anybody know the reason why the price on ram suddenly increased? Specifically DDR Ram. :mad:

Well, the price of normal SDRAM went too low - the manufacturers lost control of the market and actually lose money on SDRAM. So DDR SDRAM is their saviour - now that the economy is in a downward spiral they need to make more $$$ - and that means raising the price on DDR SDRAM, because they can make more money from it :mad:

And FYI, DDR only costs about 10% more than normal SDRAM to manufacture - the rest is all profit :eek:
    What came first - Insanity or Society?

Comment

The worst part is, P4 buyers may find it better to buy RDRAM instead of the DDR that was supposed to be a better deal for them. :eek:

Comment

The prices of all RAM are shooting up again.. well, here in Aus they are.. A friend of mine works in a computer store, and he keeps an eye on the prices.. all RAM went up 10% over the last week, and it's still going up.. so I went in there and managed to get 2 x 256 SD chips for $90 each, which is the old price.. I was happy.. :)

Comment

Originally posted by Morgan_Lander
          The worst part is, P4 buyers may find it better to buy RDRAM instead of the DDR that was supposed to be a better deal for them. :eek:
          I spec'd out a P4 1.8 system at work yesterday - to switch from 512MB DDr Ram to 512Mb RDRam & a compatible motherboard was only $70cdn.

Comment

they will probably stay like that until they invent another format for memory.

Comment

Over the last few years memory has gone thru these cycles of low prices for a while then suddenly going up for a bit before dropping back down again so it's really nothing new. :smokin:
              <center> </center>

Comment

Well in AUS 256MB of DDR is selling for $185 and 256MB of RDRAM is selling for $215 - so RDRAM is somewhat competitive for once :eek:
                What came first - Insanity or Society?

Comment

think though.. RDRAM is close in price to DDR.. but what about the rest of the system? Mobo and CPU? as far as I know, most RD RAM MB's cost more than DDR, don't they?

Comment

Plus ya need to get RDRAM in pairs too. :zzz:

Comment

Originally posted by Beefy
                      think though.. RDRAM is close in price to DDR.. but what about the rest of the system? Mobo and CPU? as far as I know, most RD RAM MB's cost more than DDR, don't they?

My supplier carries the Epox i850 board & the Epox i845d board (both socket478 - I don't have the model numbers handy at the moment)

the i850 board is only $10cdn more + another $60cdn to switch from DDR to RDRam.

I ended up getting the DDR based system anyway - just because we tend to upgrade/recycle systems as they start to get older - & I'm not sure how common RDRam will be in a couple of years

Comment

Quick note on RAM prices in Aus.

Prices continue to rise. Reseller channel stock is very low. All major fabs have refused sales to trader market and are only supplying on allocation to contract and distributors.

Key issues include;

Price rise in front of Chinese new year holiday reflecting market confidence in continued price rises.
                        Hynix, Micron, Samsung & Infineon refuse any sales to traders, only supplying major contracts and distributors
                        All majors have again raised contract price more than 30% in the first week of Feb.
                        Major OEM's such as Dell, Compaq and HP have been buying up memory module in the spot market removing any doubt from speculation that this round of price rises would evaporate in front of lunar new year holidays.
                        Still no resolution to merger talks amongst the four major brands.
                        Current market price still remains below the total cost of manufacture.

Comment

i'm a little confused about what birdkiller just said:confused: . sorry i'm a little slow sometimes. Oh and any idea when prices might drop. Maybe birdkiller just answered that though... hmm...

Comment

judging by what birdkiller said, prices won't be comming down very soon :( :cry:
                            TweakTown SETI@home Team

Comment

Working...
                            X