Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Upgrading mobo/CPU and possibly RAM, clueless poster!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading mobo/CPU and possibly RAM, clueless poster!

I have an old Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 setup with i7 920 (as seen in my specs) which has caused me some trouble for some time, and I think it might be time to replace them. What I'm looking for is a computer that would last for at least as long as this one has (or would, if it wasn't for it breaking down), i.e. 3 years.

I haven't paid much attention to the development of hardware the past 10 years, so I have basically not a single clue about what's "usable" and what's not, etc. The primary objective of the computer will be general internet stuff such as web and mail, but I also tinker with video editing, so the HW must be able to deal with that. And it should be able to play games. A broad description, I know :) But what I'm looking for is mid end-high end.

Apart from the mobo and CPU, I'd like to keep all my components. I might buy another set of RAM modules if necessary.

Thanks!

Re: Upgrading mobo/CPU and possibly RAM, clueless poster!

whats exactly wrong with your current system?

think you could stick it out till haswell arrives? if not id go for a 3770k and a z77 board,if video editing isnt so important maybe you could choose the 3570k,for ram id pick cheap 8gb dual channel low profile 1600mhz,graphic card id pick a 7850 or 7950 depending on your needs,the his 7950's seem a good choice

idk how much the samsung green memory is in norway or to import it from the u.s but thats good clocking memory for the money,details are in my sig

BTW,i always found f12 bios to be the best for the ud5,i ran that board for a few years
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I read that haswell doesn't arrive for another few months. I think that'll be too long for me, as I've been wanting to get my computer up for many months already. Also, I didn't quite understand what makes haswell so much better. From what I could read it seems more useful for laptops and tablets?

Would I need to buy a new GFX card? I already have a GTX 670 that I bought not even a year ago. I would think it is more than decent for any newer system.

The i7-3770K along with a Z77 doesn't look too pricey. Do you have a suggestion for which board I should pick, or anything specific to the boards I should be on the lookout for? I've never overclocked anything in my life.

Comment

overclocking is much easier on sandy/ivy due to a limited bclk and all overclocking is done through the cpu multiplier

you dont need a graphics card i was just rambling on without checking your sig ect

idk what boards to suggest its upto you theres some decent budget boards around from gigabyte or asus
        Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
        Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
        Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
        Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
        1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
        1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
        Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
        Razer Lycosa Keyboard
        Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
        Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
        K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
        L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
        Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
        Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
        http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
        Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Ok, thanks! It seems I got my computer to run finally, so buying new equipment isn't that stressing anymore. Though I think I'll still upgrade when Haswell hardware arrives, so many people talking about it nowadays :)

Comment

Working...
          X