Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I stay with AMD? Or just switch to Intel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I stay with AMD? Or just switch to Intel?

As my title states I am trying to decide on just buying an FX Processor or just selling my remaining components(Mobo, CPU, etc.) and start from scratch. I really don't know what to do and would like some advice. Right now I am running an AMD Athlon II X2 260 on an ASUS AMD Sabertooth 990FX with 8 GB G-Skill Sniper 1333 RAM.

Re: Should I stay with AMD? Or just switch to Intel?

Intel brings more power, but also a really heavy price tag. The only thing you have to ask yourself is, what do you [really] need? I for ones have yet to find a game or app that brings any core on my setup above 50% load. (Whitey specs in signature, running on stock speeds atm)

Of course it depends on what you use your system for. If its for games, the GFX card is way more important than the CPU .. in the end.
    My advice - never visit a short-url, no matter who gives it to you. You can't trust any source at any time when you don't know your target
    Whitey:Snuggles: Zotac Zbox HD-ID40 (Atom d525, worst purchase ever on cpu), Patriot Pyro 60GB (Thanks to Tweaktown Giveaway), 4GB 800' DDR2 SO-DIMM
    Bcube (NAS): ASUS F1A75-I Deluxe, AMD A6-3500 @ 2.1GHz, LSI 9240-8i (M1015) controller, GSkill Ares 1866 8GB blue kit, 4x Seagate SV35.5 2TB, 1x Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB, 1x Samsung HD103UJ, 1x Samsung F4 2TB, Temp. Rebel9 Alu case, Corsair H60, 2x Icy Dock MB973SP-B, NZXT UI01, Enermax T.B. Silence on docks and cpu, Aurum 500W gold PSU. (Draws 65W average, doesn't peak above 100W at any time)

Comment

Well right now I am running an old Sapphire HD 4870 and was maybe planning on grabbing a better video card as well. I would like a good overall system and I have the money to go Sandy Bridge atleast. Graphics wise I was thinking of waiting til more of the HD 7000 series come out since the new HD 7770 didn't seem to improve on anything. Or maybe dropping on a Nvidia card. Either of them works for me.

Comment

i think if you shop around and take advantage of some of the component deals ect then you could build yourself a cheap sb system,could wait until ivy bridge comes out as it will push sb prices down,and most folks will be ditching theirs for ivy upgrade,so cheap used prices for sb,as for pci-e3 thers no real world advantage yet as its so new,only good things about the 7k series ati cards are the oc headroom and the low power usage and temps,and again kepler is due very soon pushing ati prices down no doubt?
        Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
        Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
        Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
        Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
        1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
        1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
        Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
        Razer Lycosa Keyboard
        Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
        Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
        K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
        L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
        Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
        Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
        http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
        Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

So far I have found a few parts the 2500K and a good Z68 Board with SLI/CFX for $350 and was thinking of going with that and maybe a newer Kepler or AMD card in a few weeks, I will wait and see if the deals come out soon and grab something better if it comes along.

Comment

is it a gen3 board? only gen3 boards support pci-e3,though not essential its better to grab one of those over the non gen3 if you can,youll still need and ivy bridge cpu and pci-e3 graphic card to make use of the features
            Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
            Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
            Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
            Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
            1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
            1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
            Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
            Razer Lycosa Keyboard
            Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
            Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
            K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
            L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
            Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
            Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
            http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
            Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

It is a Gen3 so it is Ivy Bridge and PCI-E 3 ready when the time comes. its the ASRock Z68 PRO3/GEN3.

Comment

Since you already have a 990FX board ... I would stick with AMD for the value - and I would wait a year or so and then go Intel.

The FX-4100 is a big improvement over the old Athlon II's especially if you OC. (it is leaps and bounds faster than my old Athlon II X3 450)
                for $120 or less, you can get a quad core that will run over 4Ghz (I am running 4.5 on air)....not quite equivalent to an i5 2500 but close.
                (I have not found anything yet that is being bogged down by this proc)

However, with the money you save, you could get a much more powerful vid card - which you could move over to your future system down the road.

Sure the FX was not what it was hyped to be, but the 4100 has huge value when overclocked - especially if you already have the required MB - and will be more than most users need. (and at <$120 it is a steal)
                I do not beleive that you will not be able to recover any meaningful amount of your money by re-selling your parts. (unless you get really lucky)

..just my two cents

Comment

Working...
                X