Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SandyBridge system prices expected to drop any further?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SandyBridge system prices expected to drop any further?

Would it be worth waiting for a few more months to buy a SandyBridge build?

DDR3 prices seem to have hit rock bottom (2x4GB sometimes for $20 AR!) and the i5-2500k can often be had for $150 at MicroCenter

I am thinking of buying:

1. i5-2500k

I wanted to ask if the IGP inside this is enough to play CounterStrike and Quake 3TA?

I don't intend to do a lot of OC.

2. A reliable Z68 MB.

Intend to buy the Z68 not to overclock but with hope that it would be more reliable than a P67 as the MB makers would have sufficient time to learn from their mistakes last time around?

Got the Asrock Z68 Gen3 or Gen4 Extreme on my radar, but have been a die-hard Gigabyte fan (Could not get a decently reviewed Z68 from them, but do recommend if you know one)

I am a bit worried about this Asrock MB as I really want to use the IGP inside the i5, but read a review that said this MB becomes unstable when doing so and only using external GPU makes that go away!

Never used an Asrock before, and their CS does leave a lot to be desired, but seems like a good sub $200 deal.

Of course, a HSF, SLI GPU (thinking of 2x 560 Ti) will come later, but not now if I can do with the IGP.
    (As an aside, the upgrade would be done to play BF3, Rage and possibly DOOM4!)

Please suggest if using these parts for a build will allow me the upgrade path I want.

Here are my typical uses :

1. Virtual machines (running either full Windows XP SP4 or Ubuntu under Win7 host)
    2. DOOM3/HL2 (I am old :-) ) will be running, occasionally, in the evening, specially during weekends
    3. A BIG IDE will always be running - either Visual Studio 2010 or Eclipse/Netbeans
    4. Dragon Naturally Speaking will always be running
    5. SkyPe will always be running

Detailed usage scenarios:

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
    Gaming and machine learning (CPU + RAM bound + VM)

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
    Max: 2k. Ideal: 1.2k (specially with BF and sales this quarter)

3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.

USA - Tustin, California - Egg, Frys and Microcenters abound :-D

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
    Decided on parts but not bought yet: CPU: i5-2500k
    Now (need feedback/recommendation on): MB, RAM, Case, Monitor (> 20"), UPS
    Later: GPU, HSF, Cooler (no heavy OC though), SSD
    {Why later: Gaming will be sparse and that too maybe HL2 or Doom3. i5 IGP should handle it? No OC for now. Maybe when I get the GPUs}

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
    Static wristwrap, soldering iron (?), powertools (?), cables (PSU, SATA2, USB2)

6) Will you be overclocking?
    Very little - only because the i5-2500k makes you want to OC a bit ;-)

7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?

I have been happy with my dual 19" CRTs at 1024x768 setup of 7 years, but they are gonna die soon I think (random dimming of tube).
    In short, never used LCDs at home, but gonna buy one with a LED backlight when I get one.
    Need atleast a dual monitor setup (can the Z68 IGP support dual monitors?)

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
    NOW! (Whenever a part comes on sale during this quarter)

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video? etc.
    nVidia Fan: appreciate SLI
    USB 3
    If the MB has RAID controller than can do RAID0 (OS only) reliably (no toy RAID), that would be a big plus. Otherwise, planned on SSD later

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If so, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
    Win7 64bit, Ubuntu, SuSE
    Last edited by Kamal; 10-11-2011, 12:47 PM.

Re: SandyBridge system prices expected to drop any further?

for superior igp then the amd lano 3850 is the way to go,i would wait few months,prices may drop when socket 2011 or x79 is released,might pick up a used bargain as most people will be rushing to upgrade

i dont know if sandybridge will handle those games,but older games it should,and a dedicated gpu for modern games for sure

looked at asus z68 pro? lot of stability issues with asrock atm from what ive read
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by wazza300 View Post
      for superior igp then the amd lano 3850 is the way to go,i would wait few months,prices may drop when socket 2011 or x79 is released,might pick up a used bargain as most people will be rushing to upgrade
      I never buy used electronics, and the games I would like to play - like HL2 or DoomIII - the i5 IGP should be enough *if* the ASRock MB does not screw up

i dont know if sandybridge will handle those games,but older games it should,and a dedicated gpu for modern games for sure

looked at asus z68 pro? lot of stability issues with asrock atm from what ive read
      That's what bothers me - the ASRock MB has great value for money but I'll be pissed if it screws up!

What GigaByte and asus z68 would be great value for money with similar features as the Asrock Z68 Gen3 Extreme3 or Asrock Z68 Gen3 Extreme4?

Comment

i havnt really looked into it,ive been looking at the asus z68 pro though,and it looks good specs for the price,the z68 ud3 xp i think its called looks similar too,and yeah your right with doom3 counterstrike,it should play thos games fine,i have older i3 540/h55 and using igpu and it plays old games fine but ive only tested broken sword 123,tried with crysis it played but with minimum settings,sandybridge igpu is improved from the i3
        Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
        Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
        Razer Lycosa Keyboard
        Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!

Comment

i havnt really looked into it,ive been looking at the asus z68 pro though,and it looks good specs for the price,the z68 ud3 xp i think its called looks similar too,and yeah your right with doom3 counterstrike,it should play thos games fine,i have older i3 540/h55 and using igpu and it plays old games fine but ive only tested broken sword 123,tried with crysis it played but with minimum settings,sandybridge igpu is improved from the i3
          Since you could play crysis using the i3 IGP, the i5 IGP should at least compare with a NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS/640!

That's amazing - for me atleast :-D

Could you link to the asus z68 pro model you have bee tracking?

Comment

Asus P8Z68-V PRO Z68 Socket 1155 8 Channel HD Audio.. | Ebuyer.com

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3P Z68 Socket 1155 HDMI Onboard.. | Ebuyer.com
            Razer Lycosa Keyboard
            Fractal Arc Midi Case

Comment

Maybe no Asrock then, but if you don't mind, what do you think this is like:

1. i5-2500K + P8Z68-V PRO bundle at MC for $350
              2. 8GB 1600MHz DUAL CORSAIR VENGEANCE #CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9, UPC:843591010801 for $40 AR

A bit more pricier, but "higher quality" perhaps?

What I am most worried about is that the heatsinks on the RAM look very tall. Am I going to run into issues with a Hyper 212+ on this board? :eek:

Comment

It's up to you if you want an asrock board,I've never used one so cant comment,and from what I've read on here there seems to be a lot of stability problems which asrock seem slow to address in biis updates,I have used asus and gigabyte though and they are pretty similar boards,that setup looks fine to me,not sure about ram/heatsink clearance though you would need to Google around and see if anyones using the same ram/heatsink
                Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                Fractal Arc Midi Case

Comment

Working...
                X