Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buying newish graphics card because I can't play games without problems, need advice.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying newish graphics card because I can't play games without problems, need advice.

I want to replace my BFG GeForce 7900 GTX with a EVGA 9800 GeForce GT (or equivalent) because every time I try to play any game (Counter-strike Left for dead, Warcraft III, Wow etc) i get screen tearing and the environment textures turn random colors and the game eventually freezes, no lag at all it's just polygon like textures start to pop out of the environment/landscape and my computer suddenly locks up. I have replaced my power supply once a few years ago as well as my DVD-ROM and I just recently replaced my ram for the third time.

Basically what I am asking is would this most likely be a problem with my GPU and not something else and if it is just the GPU what should I replace it with, im not trying to do a serious upgrade i just want a cheap slightly better than my old GPU card to make my system function well enough to play the games i played when i first got it.

Im worried my old PSU that fried also did something to my mobo and that is why my ram gets f'ed up and my Graphics card is not working properly, dont wanna put in a new card if it will just get burned out.

Other then that my computer works for playing movies, music and basic stuff, just can't play any games, it is about 4 years old except the parts I replaced recently.

Specs are in my signature.

Re: Buying newish graphics card because I can't play games without problems, need adv

Originally posted by Brennan View Post
    I want to replace my BFG GeForce 7900 GTX with a EVGA 9800 GeForce GT (or equivalent) because every time I try to play any game (Counter-strike Left for dead, Warcraft III, Wow etc) i get screen tearing and the environment textures turn random colors and the game eventually freezes, no lag at all it's just polygon like textures start to pop out of the environment/landscape and my computer suddenly locks up. I have replaced my power supply once a few years ago as well as my DVD-ROM and I just recently replaced my ram for the third time.

Basically what I am asking is would this most likely be a problem with my GPU and not something else and if it is just the GPU what should I replace it with, im not trying to do a serious upgrade i just want a cheap slightly better than my old GPU card to make my system function well enough to play the games i played when i first got it.

Im worried my old PSU that fried also did something to my mobo and that is why my ram gets f'ed up and my Graphics card is not working properly, dont wanna put in a new card if it will just get burned out.

Other then that my computer works for playing movies, music and basic stuff, just can't play any games, it is about 4 years old except the parts I replaced recently.

Specs are in my signature.

why don't you reinstall your drivers..i think this should solve your problem.
    if u want buy a new graphics card go and get ati hd 5770 1 gb.its not that expensive and its good..

Comment

Re: Buying newish graphics card because I can't play games without problems, need adv

OCZ GameXStream 700W ATX12V
      i dont think this PSU will have any problem handling ur graphics card..
      its better to reinsall ur card's drivers or even better if u re-install ur OS and then install the latest drivers..

even if that doesnt work then i'll second manishjha18's suggestion for 5770...

Comment

As mentioned it may be worth reinstalling the drivers on your current card. You may also want to look at heat related issues. Have you blow the dust bunnies out lately?

If you want a cheap upgrade you might want to have a look here : NCIX.com - Buy PNY GeForce GTS 450 Fermi 783MHZ 1024MB GDDR5 Dual DVI Mini-HDMI DX11 PCI-E Video Card - VCGGTS4501XPB In Canada. . A GTS450 should be somewhat better than what you currently have and is on sale for 120 CAD. I picked up the MSI Cyclone version a week or so ago for the same outlet and am very happy with it so far.
        Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Comment

Working...
        X