Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My upgrade

Always something faster. :)

Things are still going very well. I purchased a 60GB OCZ Vertex (Indilinx) drive at $160 CDN (less assuming I get the mail in rebate... man I hate MIR's). There was a bit of a catch. Staying with the theme of "I don't want to reinstall Windows", I decided to image my drive, then restore onto the SSD.

An important part of this is making sure to create a partition on the SSD prior to restoring an image. Doing this from the Win7 disk will ensure partition alignment.

Anyway, the software I used for capturing and restoring the image needed to be run in non-AHCI mode. I had to connect the drives to the Nvidia controller to do the imaging part, and then reconnect to the U3S6 when done.

Comment

Terminal, be sure you check your alignment after you image back to the SSD, some programs will ignore your alignement and restore the original mirror's OS alignment.

Comment

I have checked. :)

I am able to select "destination partition" for image, so it doesn't (re)create partitions.

In case anyone else finds this page and wonders about checking...

techPowerUp! :: SSD Alignment Calculator

Comment

Ahh ok, cool!

Also here is an alignment check script for anyone needing to check another way, very easy to use (Second link here)
          Guide RAID / Non-RAID Partition Alignment for max performance

Comment

Working...
          X