My Future Rig tell me what ya think?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Future Rig tell me what ya think?

OK here are the specs for my future rig......tell me if anything needs changing.

Ram: Corsair XMS 3200 512 DDR Memory Platinum Series = $232
    CDr/rw: TDK velo Cd Rewriter 40x12x48 Internal CD-RW = $149
    Processor: AthlonXP 2200+ OEM = $205
    Hard Drive: WD 120.0GB U100 7200 8MB = $192
    Graphics Card: PNY GeForce4 Ti4600 128mb = $333
    Sound Card: Creative Labs Audigy Platinum = $175
    Case: Coolermaster ATC-210-VX = $211
    Monitor: 19" AOC 9GLR = $189
    DVD-Drive: Pioneer DVD-Rom DVD-106S Slot Load (OEM) = $45
    Motherboard: Soyo Dragon Ult Platinum DDR = $182
    Keyboard: MCK-800 Multi Media Keyboard = $14.95
    Power Supply: Antec 480W ATX Power Supplw w/Blue LED = $98
    CPU Fan: Volcano7+ Universal Cooler = $38

Total : $ 2,063.95

...........I have a mouse already (Intelli Eye) thinking about speakers..........:thumb: :thumb:

Maxtor :thumbs do
    5400rpm :thumbs do
    If you want a good fast HD and have the $'s go the WD 120gb special edition, 8mb buffer.
    The rast looks pretty good :thumb:

Comment

yeah i was kinda dissapointed with the 5400rpm lol but I want the biggest HD out there lol :afro: , ill check the WD

Comment

Go a 120GB WD with 8MB cache. ;)

Comment

grrrr lol ur tempting me

Comment

He should be; you're current choice sucks.

Question: Why in the world would you put together a totally Kick-Ass rig and then slow the whole thing down with a crap hard drive? Just the 5400 RPM spindle speed alone will slow down the entire system! Get something that is large and can still add to the performance level of your new toy.

Besides, with hard drives as cheap as they are nowadays, you can just add more later on if you have the need for a greater amount of storage space.

Wiggo was on the mark with his comment about the Special Edition of WD drives. Their current crop goes to 120GB each and they also have an 8MB cache built in. They are truly speed demons and are setting benchmarking records all over the place.

Finally, Maxtor has been having some serious quality/reliability issues of late and really shouldn't be considered too seriously at the moment.
            Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
            My Toys

Comment

yeah I know I switched to the WD hard drives now :) thx :afro:

Comment

if you get a tdk, compusa has one with rebate for like 49.99, hurry..lol, thats if your in the states though

that athlon is .13 right? make sure you get .13 and watch the steppings too

i wouldn't get wd or maxtor or ibm, wd gay gay hds, they die just like ibms and maxtors are just cr*p try the seagate barracuda v, it has sATA

hmm, why get a ti4600, just get a good ti4200 and o/c it, they run for like a hundred cheaper

and i think your prices are a bit high lol..why get a coolmaster? just get aluminum case like lianli and mod it

what is AOC? lol =P

speakers try the logitech series, they are pretty cheap and good

get the antec trupower, and i doubt you'll need THAT much wattage..like 400 is decent

Comment

the barracuda v is also 8mbs i think =) and probably more reliable aswell

Comment

the case that i posted there is Aliminum with a Tray Load opening :afro:

Comment

Originally posted by [size=6
                      aznx[/size]]
                      the barracuda v is also 8mbs i think =) and probably more reliable aswell
                      I've never found Seagate to be any better or worse than WD. Also only the new Barracuda Serial ATA V has a 8MB cache (who owns a serial ATA mobo yet?), all Barracuda ATA V have a 2MB cache. :smokin:
                      <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

My Maxtor 60GB is still running strong and also quiet ,
                        The only HD's that have died me on me were the IBM and Quantum Bigfoot 3gb , My Seagate 500mb still works

Here is the link to the WD 120GB 8mb/s:afro:

Comment

Yea, I had a bigfoot die on me, that POS :shoot2: :shoot2: :shoot2: :no:

Back to the topic....

My opinions:
                          First of all you can save 23 dollars by getting your hard drive here: (mwave is a site many of us use and trust highly) http://direct.mwave.com/mwave/ProdHD...HD-IDE-WD.hmx?

My opinion on expensive Sound Cards these days is that if you have anything less than pristine hearing you won't hear the difference no matter how much you spend over 50$. I believe that if you have ever been to a concert without earplugs, or played with fireworks, you have less than pristine hearing. But if you are an audio geek, and do significant audio work that you need at the utmost of quality, then it might be worth while. So I'd suggest any of the Live! cards, or a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz

Keyboard: My laptop does not have a number keypad, and I hate it!! I would never have a keyboard on my main computer without a keypad. Does that keyboard have a volume control and a mute button? Both of those aspects are things I will never be without again on my keyboards.

Take the 150$ you save on your sound card and put it towards your monitor! Many people consider their monitor their most important PC component. You are always looking at it, so it better be good. I personally would take any Sony Trinitron, or any Samsung Syncmaster over your choice.

I would suggest a Lite-On burner, because they are everywhere, they are cheap, and they are tied for the top spot in drive quality and performance. That choice will save you 50$

That PSU is a giant overkill, unless you plan to overclock as far as possible, and add 10 hard drives at some point.

Oh and if you look around at some other retailers, in an hour or two of work you will be able to shave 100$ or so off the remaining price... Just make sure that the slight increase in shipping from each place is less than the amount you are saving by buying from them.

Comment

Hey you said you wanted a giant drive?? :D :D :eek: :eek: :D :D

WD 200.0GB WD2000JBRTL EIDE ULTRA-ATA/100 W/8MB CACHE 7200RPM SE (Retail) (NO STOCK - Estimate arrival on 8/8/02)

Middle of the page.... and you'll have to wait 10 days or so... but WOW 200 GB...... * Waves Giant Western Digital Flag *

Now you can have a TERABYTE in your PC with only 5 drives, for 1650$ That is INSANE. :thumb: :thumb:

Comment

NIce HD except the price lol , for sound I have pratically used SoundBlaster since I have had a pc and bla bla I like the Audigy cause it supports Advanced HD which sounds real good in SOF2 even Cs and Ghost Recon.......(i Have it on my extigy) , they keyboard is pretty cool it comes with audio volume DVD/dvd/mp3 Play Pause FF Rewind Eject and Internet Shortcuts Standy as well as program launch buttons , Im trying to limit my pc to like at least 4 retailers I contacted TCWO about shipping they said they could cut some slack on the price , Ill check the site u gave me and reply back thx :thumb:

Comment

Working...
                              X