Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new pc: looking for cool and quiet

Hey guys...
    My old computer just died the other day (I think it was a CPU overheat) and I'm looking to buy new parts to build a new computer.

Here are my old useable parts:
    1 IBM 12gig HD 7200rpm
    2 IBM 60gig HD 7200rpm (60GXP)
    ATI All in wonder 32meg AGP video card
    SB Audigy card
    1 stick of 256 PC2100 ram

Here is what I want to get:
    Lian Li PC68 case
    Asus A7V266 Motherboard
    AMD 1800XP

I want to keep my computer quiet and cool because I'd like to be able to sleep with it on. I was wondering what heat sink/fan combo I should get. Also, what case fans I should get (the Lian Li comes with 3 case fans, right? If so, are they pretty quiet?). And what power supply I should get, all bearing in mind quietness and coolness.

Thanks

If you are looking for something cool and quiet, and can afford an additional 100$, you should replace that case choice with a KoolMax case. It is a case all set up with water cooling, and it is the coolest system avaliable and the quietest. AND you dont have to constantly wipe it with WD-40 to keep your fingerprints off it.

This forum is in complete agreeance that EpoX makes the best board featuring the KT-266a chipset, and it is quite a bit cheaper than that ASUS. The motherboard model is an Epox 8KHA+.

Comment

hey thanks zeradul for the info. i'll definitely look into the motherboard. is there a reason that the epox is strongly recommended? any extra features? is it just faster?

i actually don't think i want to spend more on the case. but are there any other cool and quiet options? like low noise fans and the like?

Comment

The EPoX boards are cheaper but of good quality and BIOS adjustments to get the most out of your setup. The two front fans on that case have a speed switch behind the bezel to fix any noise ant the other fan can always be replaced with something quieter if necessary plus if your not going to be overclocking to much the the Volcano 7+ is a quiet HSF in both low and medium fan settings, you can switch it to high for any fragfests. :smokin:
        <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Its not as much more as you think. Remember a KoolLance case replaces that need for you to buy fans, Psu, Heatsink, dust filters, sound insulation.

Go look at a reseller that has them, and compare. I doubt it is much more than a Lian case.

Comment

Here in Australia the Koolance costs about 50% more than the Lian Li. :smokin:
            <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

hey guys. thanks a lot for the info.
              i ended up getting the epox board and splurging on the cooler master atc 110. i'll tell you how my new computer gets set up and if i ever can get port forwarding to work maybe you guys can get access to my 130 gig ftp server.
              later.

Comment

Working...
              X