LAN box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LAN box

Well, I'm considering putting together a LAN box, as all my current systems are in too large of a case or have too much stuff inside to make it a reality to lug it (and it's my file server).

I'm going the P4 route this time because I'd like to have something new on the Intel side. I'm not going for anything breakneck fast, just a nice little box to carry around.

Here's what I'm thinking:

AOpen AX45-V (Sis645)
    P4 1.6A retail
    256MB PC2700 Samsung CAS 2.5
    ATI Radeon 8500LE
    AOpen 52x CD-ROM
    Western Digital 20GB 7200RPM
    Foxconn/Super Case Midtower
    Antec 330W TruPower ATX2.03 PSU

Total cost (as of 6/23/02): $549USD + shipping

This is just the box, but I figure I can swing a 15" monitor and the mouse and keyboard for a little extra and keep the whole rig around $700USD. All the parts listed are from Newegg

If you suggest a different motherboard, I require it to have on-board LAN at the very least. Sound is debatable, as I've got some extra cards lying around.

Unless you're getting the new SiS 645DX chipset in that board I'd run away as fast as my little feets would carry me. Since you're looking at a LAN box, you're going to want performance... which the SiS 645 chipset fails to produce. Take a look at some of the Intel i845 based motherboards. I know there are some with built in LAN support and will still allow you to use the DDR memory.

Just because you don't want breakneck speed is no reason to slight the performance level of your new rig. :)
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

True...Alright, I'll just have to do some major reading and checking with these boards...

Comment

Yeh i wouldnt go for SiS or Via chipsets if you were buying P4. Intel is probably the best and most stable. HOWEVER, dont buy an intel motherboard, you'll be sorry you ever did

Comment

Do you mean an Intel chipset or a "Built By Intel" board?

Comment

I've only had one motherboard from Intel. Currently it's still pumping away in my grandparents machine. The reason I'm not looking at an Intel board is because I'd like the option to do a little overclocking with the 1.6A. If I'm gonna get that chip, I might as well have fun with it a little.

ECS has a new board on the SiS 645DX coming out for $70 on Newegg. It's got LAN and audio. Now I'm beginning to think I may look at 850E board's as well, but I'll see. Nothing set in stone. If worse comes to worse, I've got a spare NIC I can dig out...I've been spoiled by the last two motherboards I've purchase: on-board LAN

Comment

i meant intel MOTHERBOARD. The intel 845G i think is probably one of the best chipsets for the P4, of course the i850 is the best but its just waaaay too expensive. Intel boards come with OEM Bios's. Absolutely no OC'ing options

Comment

Unless I missed the gist of the conversation, Ehhe Yebeb is recommending an Intel chipset on a board manufactured by someone else. There are a lot of them out there that have a huge amount of promise for overclocking. As long as you stay away from the Intel branded mainboards, you should do fine.
                Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
                My Toys

Comment

As I look at the shipping on the cases, I figure I'll just buy that locally.

Anyway here's my revised scheme for purchase

Iwill P4D (i845-D)
                  P4 1.6GHz retail
                  256MB PC2100 Corsair value-select
                  ATI Radeon 8500LE 64MB

$381 plus shipping.

I can't say how accurate this'll be when I order it as Newegg is running shipping specials on it right now, but hopefully I'll be able to buy some of this stuff fairly soon. If nothing else, I'll at least buy the motherboard (none of the shops get Iwill boards here:() and the video card, and probably the CD-ROM seeing as it's so cheap.

edit: I'm gonna yank a CD-ROM and 20GB hard drive out of my file server...I've still got 2 of each left over in there anyway.

Comment

Well, nuts, Newegg is outta stock with the Corsair. I think I'll just buy some PC2700 from one of the local vendors instead ($59 here--Samsung).

I've got the case with the PSU, HDD, CD-ROM and floppy drives in it.

Now I assume that the 300W should be enough to power this puppy w/o a hitch, even when I go to overclock it. I think I tend to underestimate 300W PSU's, especially with this light setup.

Comment

Working...
                    X