Which DDR2 for overclocking?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which DDR2 for overclocking?

I'm currently selecting components for a new CPU/MB/RAM upgrade.
    I'm pretty set on the E6600 and Asus P5k deluxe. I have watercooling, a good PSU and will be overclocking for 24/7 use. I primarily game, but will also be doing some major MP3 encoding(family's entire LP album to CDs) and some HD video editing.
    I've settled on 2 gigs for the time being as I'm still running XP and only plan moving to Vista when absolutely necessary.

What RAM (2x1024) will give me the best performance without being ridiculously overpriced?
    I don't mind spending a little more for tighter timing ability though.

Thanks for the help!

Re: Which DDR2 for overclocking?

Ram is stupidly cheap now, I'd suggest anything with D9 micron modules. Getting something say DDR2 1000 is not a bad idea since prices have dropped so far and they are guaranteed to go that far at the rated timings. Corsair seems to not have dropped prices as far on high end ram, so I'd just look for the cheapest fastest ram that fits the budget. Hard to lose that way.
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
    Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
    Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate
    Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

So D9 micron modules are the chips to go with? So I shouldn't miss out on this rebate?

Well..nevermind..it must be POSTMARKED by 7/8..two days from now...DOH!!!

Comment

I ended up going with this..

2G Corsair XMS PC2 8500 (DDR2 1066) in case the link breaks like the one above. It came with a rebate to get it down to ~$150.
        After doing some reading, D9s are the best thing going ATM...thanks for the recommendation..

Comment

Working...
        X