Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buget system alert!!! Is this a good way to go for now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buget system alert!!! Is this a good way to go for now?

Is this system a good idea for someone that wants to spend $1000(US) now on a new system that will last them 1 year and then dump another $1000 into it for upgrades a year from now?

I'm thinking that spending some money on the case and getting a decent PSU is the way to go in this situation and using DDR2 800 memory in hopes that they are still a decent choice a year from now. Then Trash or sell the $200 CPU and mainboard combo to upgrade to an Intel Core2 Duo when prices drop or even a better CPU if prices permit, then also get a mainboard of the future to go with the system.

CASE ANTEC|NINE HUNDRED BK RT - Retail
    Item #: N82E16811129021

Return Policy: Standard Return Policy
    <s>$139.99</s>
    $119.99 $119.99<o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>
    PSU ANTEC|TP3-650 RT - Retail
    Item #: N82E16817371001

Return Policy: Limited 30-Day Return Policy
    <s>$129.99</s>
    $109.99<o:p></o:p>

Total combo price $241.57.<o:p></o:p>
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------<o:p></o:p>
    BFG GeForce 7800 GT OC video card $75

<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total $844.34

Can anybody suggest some good but cheap speakers?

Re: Buget system alert!!! Is this a good way to go for now?

I sure hope it isn't a bad combination that you picked .... I just finished ordering the exact same mobo, CPU, and hard drive combination 2 hours ago! I cheaped out a bit more by settling for 2 x 512 kingston RAM, a Cooler Master Centurion 534 (Black w/ Window), and an Enermax 420W Noisetaker PSU. ....Needed something to put the two Asus EN7600GTs that i won from Tweaktown into.
    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Comment

Originally posted by PrairieDawg View Post
      I sure hope it isn't a bad combination that you picked .... I just finished ordering the exact same mobo, CPU, and hard drive combination 2 hours ago! I cheaped out a bit more by settling for 2 x 512 kingston RAM, a Cooler Master Centurion 534 (Black w/ Window), and an Enermax 420W Noisetaker PSU. ....Needed something to put the two Asus EN7600GTs that i won from Tweaktown into.

Someone wants me to build them a gaming system that can be heavily upgraded in a year from now, so I just picked this setup out of the blue. I'm guessing this should run everything they can throw at it.
      I'm hoping someone will find some flaws or something better for the price I might have missed before we place the order. I'm thinking spending a mere $200 on yesteryears top CPU and a good board now isn't a great waste even if its going to be scraped next year. The heart of a PC seems to be the place must vulnerable to expensive updates if you get the newest hardware and want to keep up with the times if you ask me.

Comment

That's a bloody fine price for that system. All good components, except floppy drives are next to useless and Samsung is far from the best manufacturer of optical drives. I'd also recommend a SATA HDD since the price premium is next to nothing.

Certainly upgradeable as Barcelona and possibly AM3 will be backwards compatible with current AM2 boards. PCI-E and SLI won't be going through any changes that would warrant that board antiquated anytime soon, and DDR2 is here to stay until mid-2008 or 2009.

Comment

Glad to hear you approve Yawgm0th!

My system will run $825 CAD (case, PSU, CPU, mobo, RAM, burner, HD, and extra 120mm fan - not counting the FREE video cards). I'll also be adding an Aerogate II temperature monitor/fan controller and a pair of blue 12" Mutant Mods Meteor Light kits for added eye candy. Looks like I'll be eating rice and Kraft Dinner for awhile instead of Subway but it'll be worth it. LOL.

hmmm .... I missed the ATA designation on Spongebobs list. Mine is the SATA2 version. I choose the LG Super Multi DVD Writer for my burner. Turns out the company I ordered from was out of stock on the Cooler Master case so i went along with Spongebob on the Antec Nine Hundred Gamer case. It should all arrive tomorrow!
          Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Comment

Working...
          X