Value Computer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Value Computer

My sister just moved in across the street from me :shock: and she got the Comcast package including the internet. The computer she has that was the old one from my other sister runs Windows ME and poorly. So, i thought i would look around for value computers.

So, what i'm looking for is just the tower, no keyboard, mouse, monitor or speakers, just the base computer. I don't want any video card (integrated is fine) or sound car (again integrated is fine) but it does have to have a network card for the Ethernet cable.

Let me know. I found on newegg a 289 machine, but i'm looking for CHEAPER! It does have to run XP to. Or Vista Basic.

Re: Value Computer

No need for a network card as every motherboard made in the last, I don't know, seven years has an integrated 10/100 chip.

I'd recommend you look into socket 754. I'll get you started.

Throw in a microATX case, 80GB HDD, and 350 power supply and you've got a fast, cool and quiet, and reliable system for $200-$250 shipped. You can use her existing optical drive in addition to the peripherals. That's not including the operating system.

If you really wanted to cut corners, you could grab a 40GB, 300W PSU, and a 256MB stick of RAM, but you'd be saving $40 to $50 and the computer would be half as fast.

Alternatively, you could go take a peek at eBay or trading forums such as Anandtech. I'd imagine you could get a comparable used system for under $200 shipped.

Do you know if her case is ATX compatible? You could also use that, if it is.

Comment

Re: Value Computer

Thanks for the links. I was able to get my hands on three legacy computers over the weekend, and i pieced the best parts of the three together. People were just giving them away. She is all set up, granted its REALLY slow. I will let her know though of the budget, because she can always save up for a month!

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
      X