Cheapest RAM out there

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheapest RAM out there

As some of you guys know, i'm building a new system in a few months, but i haven't got to it yet. That means i'm still stuck with my 3.0ghz PC. It only has 1gig of ram (2 x 512) and my dad and I run a LOT of things at the same time, so we need another duece of 512. Any suggestions on what we should get that is dirt cheap but will hold up?

I found these two at newegg.com

This is only 66.99: Patriot Signature 1GB (2 x 512MB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory
    REMOVED I CAN'T USE THIS ONE! Thanks guys.

For 71.99: pqi POWER Series 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 266 (PC 2100) Dual Channel Kit System Memory

!EDIT!

This seems to be by far the most popular on newegg:

For 74.99 CORSAIR ValueSelect 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

Unless you guys know of cheaper and better, let me know!
    Last edited by CColtManM; 02-19-2007, 10:29 PM. Reason: Added another option

Re: Cheapest RAM out there

I dont know if you notice but the patriot signature 1gb is ddr2. What kind of ram you got right now, you best off matching your current pair with the new pair to avoid instability issues.
    CPU: Opteron 165 @ 311x9 - 2817.8 mhz - 1.47v
    Mobo: Abit KN8-SLI
    RAM: 2x512 Crucial Ballistic Tracers500 @ 202 mhz 2-2-2-5 T1
    GFX: Asus EAX1950pro @ 648/1408
    PSU: Thermaltake 500w
    SC: Audigy 2 zs
    LCD: 22' Samsung 225bw
    Speakers: Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra
    Mouse: Logitech G5

Comment

How do i find out what kind of RAM i have?

Comment

Either open up your computer case and take a look or use cpu-z.

Comment

Ok. I have a DDR. Dual Channels.

Nice tip on the cpu-z.

Comment

Wait, Wait, Wait,

From my experience, having four sticks of ram will slow down your computer. You are much better off purchasing 2x1gig sticks. You also have two different speeds listed down there. Most likely your computer uses DDR 400 aka PC3200.

Final question: Why are you upgrading a computer that will not be used in a few months? Besides, a 3gig cpu with 1 gig of ram is not bad. Have you defragmented the hd lately? Some other things might be causing a slowdown. Spyware?

Anyways, my suggestion would not to purchase this ram if you are planning a full upgrade soon. It would be be money you could put forward for that new computer.

Comment

Of course 2x1 gig would yield in better performance, but i think in his case he doesn't want to spend the money for 2x1 gig which would be more expensive and add on another 2x512. But I agree with what your saying. If you are upgrading your system later, it would be best to save your money.

Comment

I have PC 2700 speed. The computer will stay the family one, i'm building a personal beast.

So, the speed has to match up too?

More Ram will make my pc Slower?

Yeah, i have disk keeper, so it defrags every night for 2 hours, and i don't have any spyware.

Comment

The ram doesn't necessarily have to be the same speed. PC3200 is the most common speed. Can your computer handle two gigs?

The four sticks will cause your motherboard to go into a different mode which slows down the speed of the ram. Two sticks will be faster by a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
                    The ram doesn't necessarily have to be the same speed. PC3200 is the most common speed. Can your computer handle two gigs?

The four sticks will cause your motherboard to go into a different mode which slows down the speed of the ram. Two sticks will be faster by a lot.
                    How can you say this when we have no system info? Plus, 4 sticks will not do that to an Intel system, and even an AMD system will just go to 2T mode which would only slow down benchmark scores, not real world performance. You'd be fine with 4 sticks and I would in fact recommend it over trying to sell the old ram and getting 1GB sticks. Getting the cheapest 2 sticks is fine, just make sure they are at least PC2700 sticks. PC3200 will "dumb down" to PC2700 speeds so if that is cheapest then buy it.
                    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
                    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
                    Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
                    Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
                    Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
                    PC P&C 500W PSU
                    2TB Seagate
                    Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

Alright, I don't know the specs. Fine, but I don't think he has four slots for the extra gig. Waiting on a reply for the computer specs and just guessing right now.

Comment

I have four slots on my Intel Motherboard. Two of them have a 512 stick of ram each. This leaves me with two open slots.

Comment

You should be alright putting in that extra gig. Here is some good Crucial stuff for about $80,

Comment

So, do you guys really think i will notice any difference if i end up adding another gig?

In games, apps, programs, startups, anything? I'm assuming that's what it's for.

Comment

I honestly don't think so, maybe in certain games like battlefield 2.

Comment

Working...
                              X