Debate Amongst Processors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debate Amongst Processors

Hey guys, and thanks in advice for the aid.

I'm having a bit of a dilemma. I'm trying to figure out which processor to purchase for a new PC, and this is the first time (I've made three computers for personal use in the past, the first of which at age 13) I've considered using Intel. This is for obvious reasons. However, I'm still wondering if there is a real life difference between Intel's low-end Core 2 Duo and AMD's X2 processors. Here are the processors that I'm currently looking at.

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Dual Core Processor
    http://www.pricegrabber.com/p__AMD_A...sor,__20173453

AMD Athlon 64 FX-55 Processor
    http://www.pricegrabber.com/p__AMD_A...ssor,__8028894

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ Dual Core Processor
    http://www.pricegrabber.com/p__AMD_A...sor,__20173455

Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 Dual Core Processor
    http://www.pricegrabber.com/p__Intel...sor,__22879554

All of those links were found simply by using Pricegrabber. If you guys know of a better website from which I could find better prices, I'd appreciate it. Price is a big factor, so I can't really go much higher than the $250 mark.

When it comes to picking out a CPU, I'm also taking into consideration the fact that I'll need a new MOBO. I'm one of those people that, if I don't constantly keep information flowing through my head, I'll forget most of it. This means I don't really remember what to look for in a Mobo. I just need a decent quality one, relatively fairly priced, and minimal features.

Oh, and the purpose for my system will be gaming. I'll be heading off to college here in about seven months, and since I'll be paying loans and expenses all four years, this will be my primary connection to the gaming world for at least two years. Yeah, I know, it will be obsolete by then. Trust me, I'm playing on an Athlon XP right now, I can handle obsolete when I need to :P

If you need further information, just let me know, I'll be checking in regularly. Thanks a bunch :)

Re: Debate Amongst Processors

Intel Core2Duo is the way to go right now. Granted AMD will likely come back in the near future with something better, but Intel has the crown for the time being. The Conroe core units are exceptional performaers and overclock very well too.

As for motherboards, just look for one that has the features you need. Intel (surprisingly) is the chipset of choice and you have choices between the 945, 965 and 975 series chipsets. The 945 based boards are generally the lower-end boards, but I would recommend using the money saved from your $250 processor limit on a better board. The 975 boards are officially the ones listed as "high-end", but the 965 models are generally better regarded in the enthusiast community.

With regards to where to buy, I can only make a recommendation since I don't know where you are from. If you are US based, then Newegg,com is going to be about the best place to buy from, and you can get all your components at once.

Good luck.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

That's great, thanks a bunch. That's exactly what I was needing to know :) I appreciate it.

Comment

Hey Darth,

Is there a considerable difference between the Q965 and the P965? I had to take a break from my "investigation" for a couple days, and decided to get back on it today by looking for a proper mobo.

Also, I can't really find any Q965s, but I can find alot of P965s. I'm just going by what the Intel website says.

Comment

I'm really not sure offhand what the difference is as I haven't researched it myself. I just got my P965 mainboard in today so hopefully I can start building tomorrow evening sometime.

An easy way to see the difference may be to hit up some manufacturer's websites that have direct comparisons available. Pick a P965 and Q965 board and set their specs up side by side and see if there are any vital differences.
          Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
          My Toys

Comment

Q965 boards appear to have onboard video and might be a better version than the 965G boards. A quick check on the Intel website and all I can figure is that is the main difference, along with slightly difference levels of AC97 support. P965 boards are the enthusiast board for certain, and the only logical choice of a 965 based board for gaming/overclocking.
            GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
            AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
            Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
            Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
            Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
            PC P&C 500W PSU
            2TB Seagate
            Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

Working...
            X