To buy or build - that is the question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To buy or build - that is the question

Alright, I've got an outdated PC. It runs, but it's time to step up. The only things I'll be taking from it are a Thermaltake SP97 heatsink and a SB Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro sound card. So - I've gone to New Egg, checked out prices. It's gonna cost me around $600 for something decent, and that's using the same case and PSU. The other thing is that I need to either buy a copy of XP or buy a PC with it alread installed. Then today, I saw the deal over at Geeks: http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?inv...5056-R&cat=SYS
    My question is - would it be better for me to buy a set like that and just upgrade the video card (installing new heatsink and sound card from old PC), or spend something like $800 on upgrading what I do have? Would buying that Gateway mess me over at all in the long run?

Re: To buy or build - that is the question

It will have no upgradeability, maybe AGP if you're lucky, defininetely not PCI-e

Comment

look closely before replying. it has a 16x pci-e slot, and it looks overall like a good buy. dont know about overclocking tho.

Comment

DON'T BUY A BRANDED PC!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They always have a terrible time with any upgrades and they almost never are able to overclock. For $600 you can easily build a PC that will outperform it too. Just do some research and pricing on newegg and the other sites and post back. NO GATEWAYS/DELLS/HP's.....................
        GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
        AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
        Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
        Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
        Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
        PC P&C 500W PSU
        2TB Seagate
        Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

Originally posted by casecutter
          DON'T BUY A BRANDED PC!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They always have a terrible time with any upgrades and they almost never are able to overclock. For $600 you can easily build a PC that will outperform it too. Just do some research and pricing on newegg and the other sites and post back. NO GATEWAYS/DELLS/HP's.....................
          Oh REALLY Genious?

Build me this PC:

19" Monitor
          1280x1024 NATIVE
          8ms refresh
          500:1 contrast ratio
          300 NITS brightness

Keyboard, mouse

Case with:
          Pentium D 805 Dual Core (2.66, 533Mhz FSB)
          Windows XP MEDIA Edition 2005

512 MB Dual CHannel DDR2 SDRAM @ 533Mhz (2x 256MB)

80 GB HDD (7200 RPM with 8MB Cache)

48x CD-R/W / DVD-ROM combo drive

WITH 3 years AT HOME waranty with nights/weekends

and FREE shipping...

Your turn...

Comment

Does this hypothetical prebuilt system also come with a motherboard and a real video card (not onboard)? What about a power supply?
            Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Comment

Originally posted by mlakrid
              Oh REALLY Genious?

Build me this PC:

19" Monitor
              1280x1024 NATIVE
              8ms refresh
              300 NITS brightness

Keyboard, mouse

Case with:

and FREE shipping...

Your turn...
              WOW! A Pentium D, you'll do great with one of those... not. That's a second rate piece of trash. With AMD lowering their prices and all, that machine is worthless.

Comment

my bud is in the same situation, I found a Dell he liked, and built him one with similar parts. Mine came out a few bux cheaper, but the kicker is that the built machine is more upgradeable and WAY more tweakable. Someone who asks about a computer I always ask them what they will use it for.

For anything except 3d gaming the branded PCs will do well enough. Any machine that will see some polygons will be much better being custom built.

IMO, building your own allows personalisation and fun that are not there when you order one.

Comment

Great, another prebuilt vs. custom battle. Here is a link to a previous thread concerning the same topic: http://forums.tweaktown.com/showthread.php?t=21162

Out of experience with modifying a prebuilt dell, I know that upgrading it is a pain. Besides, it will be worth it in the end to build it yourself.

As for the warranty: If you order the good stuff, it will come with a good warranty. If you go further and order everything from Newegg, you are ensured that everything will be ok.

Comment

Okay, looks like I'll be building, which I always thought was better, but I thought I'd run it by the pros.

Next question is: what socket mobo should I be looking for? The standard seems to be 939. And what's the big difference between an ATI or Radeon mobo?

Another question - what route do I go as far as HDDs? SATA, PATA...I've been out of the tech loop for about two years and getting caught up is quite a task.
                    Last edited by Hawkens85; 09-08-2006, 07:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mlakrid
                      Oh REALLY Genious?

Build me this PC:

19" Monitor
                      1280x1024 NATIVE
                      8ms refresh
                      300 NITS brightness

Keyboard, mouse

Case with:

and FREE shipping...

Your turn...
                      HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH AHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

I just built a Core2Duo system for around $800. Considering I resused my hardrives/cd/dvd drives and Windows XP, I can only laugh at people thinking they got a good deal with ANY branded system. Look at the system in my sig and you'll see what I got. You got smoked chump! LOL!

Dude I got a Gateway, WTF did I do......... Why can't I upgrade..... Why do I need to buy a whole new PC........

MORON!!!!!!!!!!!

Of course my LCD was quite expensive, but considering it has much better specs than your 19", I can live with that.

805D....... What a joke.......... 2X256MB ram....... My P3 rig has more ram than that.......
                      GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
                      AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
                      PC P&C 500W PSU
                      2TB Seagate

Comment

Nice job Casecutter. I can't wait to build my own Core 2 Duo system.

Anyways, the current AMD socket is AM2. I would personally go with Core 2 Duo because it performs alot better than AM2.

For your hd's, I would go with a Western Digital or Seagate Sata or Sata II.

Comment

How much and what is "alot"?

Comment

As of now,Core2Duo is much much faster. Most of that speed is seen in number crunching and video encoding, gaming performance is almost equal between AM2 and Core2Duo. Socket AM2 has a much clearer upgrade path, but I am also hoping Intel will not decide we need ANOTHER chipset for their next CPU's on S775. My money, right now, goes to Intel. But for a killer budget rig, AM2 is right up there and can be built cheaper and still perform quite well.
                            GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
                            AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
                            PC P&C 500W PSU
                            2TB Seagate

Comment

Originally posted by Munkul
                              look closely before replying. it has a 16x pci-e slot, and it looks overall like a good buy. dont know about overclocking tho.
                              Thanks for carrecting me, but I still think that it is not very upgradable.

Comment

Working...
                              X