Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Want to buy Radeon 9600xt. Is my system compatible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Want to buy Radeon 9600xt. Is my system compatible?

Hey techies. I'm not a hardware geek, so I need a little help detemining if the graphics card I want is compatible with my system.

http://www.sapphiretech.com/us/produ...?gpid=49&grp=2 This is the card I want for my system. (Or something very similar to it. I've found cards that are different, but have the same name. =/ )

I'll give you as many of my system specs as I can:
    HP Pavilion 515n
    Intel Celeron CPU 2.30 GHz
    760MB of RAM

My current card: Nvidia GeForce2 MX/MX 400

I'd be glad to give more specs, but you'll have to tell me where to find them.

My biggest concern is that the Radeon 9600xt will suck my computer power source dry. Unfortunately, I have no idea how to find out how much energy my power source provides, or how much the 9600xt requires.

Any other card suggestions are also welcome.

Help please! =l

Re: Want to buy Radeon 9600xt. Is my system compatible?

Well, the 9600XT doesn't require an external power connection, but there is still a small possibility it can be too much. Without knowing how much power your PSU has, you are taking a chance.
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
    Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
    Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate
    Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

That card and any other AGP or PCI-Express video card will not work in your system, you'll only get a PCI video card to work in it.

Comment

Originally posted by casecutter
        Without knowing how much power your PSU has, you are taking a chance.
        How do I find out how much my PSU allows?

Originally posted by wayout44
        That card and any other AGP or PCI-Express video card will not work in your system, you'll only get a PCI video card to work in it.
        Why won't it work with my system? Could I upgrade my computer to work with AGP or PCI-Express?

Comment

No, if it does not have an AGP or PCI-E slot there is no way to add one. Have you looked inside your computer? Where does your video card plug in? If it is in a white slot that is aligned with 3-5 other white slots then it is PCI and you need a PCI video card. If it is in a brown slot that is offest about 1-1/2 inches from the white slots then you do have an AGP slot. Open up your PC and see what you have. Post a picture if you are unsure and we can tell you.
          GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
          AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
          Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
          Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
          Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
          PC P&C 500W PSU
          2TB Seagate
          Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

I worked on a Pavilion 515n just last week,

Mainboard page, http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...cname=bph07813

You can upgrade the mainboard with an AGP capable one cheaply enough,

Take your pick, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...ubCategory=280

But to upgrade to PCI-Express you might as well build a brand new PC.
            Last edited by wayout44; 08-29-2006, 03:47 PM.

Comment

I had a peek in my computer and saw I had PCI. (No Express.) Ah, well. With the help of a techie friend, I managed to find a card that'll work.

Thank you for the help and suggestions. :)

Comment

Working...
              X