New PC, Help Needed Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New PC, Help Needed Please

Yep we pay through the backside here, now Im more confused about what to buy, thanks guys...lol

You guys tell me what your ideal Intel system is for $2800 AUD. here are some aussie sites that I may get my parts from. cworld.com.au & centrecom.com.au. Thats gotta include . CPU, RAM, M/B, HDD (for OS only. 1 of, dont worry about long term as I know what I want.) Graphics Card & PSU.

You guys do know the 7950 is a scam, its just 2 "mobile" GPUs & doesnt perform anywhere as good as the other 4 or 5 top end cards. There is no way on gods earth Im gonna blow my cash on that bull**** chip.

Now Ive been an Intel user, felt like a change, help me stay with Intel then.

thanks for the advice guys.

Oh yeah, whats the deal with these DX10 Cards, how far off are they?
    please keep in mind f I havto wait for the next best thing, ill never get anything.

I need a system & I need it NOW, not in 2 months, not 1, not 1 week, now. My current Prescot is running like a 486 that is on heroin, and its making me wanna kill myself!

Comment

If you do not plan on overclocking, then getting the fastest stock CPU is not a bad idea. If you go AMD, I would suggest going with a less expensive CPU and getting the best ram possible so that when K8L comes out (AM3) you can upgrade to that and be happy you skipped Conroe.

As for the 7950, it is the best video card solution for a single slot motherboard. But it is so far overpriced it isn't worth it. Same with the 7900GTX. If you want Nvidia, go 7900GT because it is going to almost certainly keep up to a GTX clock for clock and they are simple to OC. DX10 is coming, but not for awhile yet and even when it does, you'll need Vista to run it. Plus, nothing will be coded for it until well into next year at the earliest. You don't want to get the first generation DX10 cards either. You should take the advice you get here and then apply it to what you want to do. Just because someone says it is not a good idea to buy something, doesn't mean you shouldn't. Just evaluate your needs and apply theadvice given.
      GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
      AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
      Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
      Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
      Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
      PC P&C 500W PSU
      2TB Seagate
      Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

Originally posted by casecutter
        If you do not plan on overclocking, then getting the fastest stock CPU is not a bad idea. If you go AMD, I would suggest going with a less expensive CPU and getting the best ram possible so that when K8L comes out (AM3) you can upgrade to that and be happy you skipped Conroe.

As for the 7950, it is the best video card solution for a single slot motherboard. But it is so far overpriced it isn't worth it. Same with the 7900GTX. If you want Nvidia, go 7900GT because it is going to almost certainly keep up to a GTX clock for clock and they are simple to OC. DX10 is coming, but not for awhile yet and even when it does, you'll need Vista to run it. Plus, nothing will be coded for it until well into next year at the earliest. You don't want to get the first generation DX10 cards either. You should take the advice you get here and then apply it to what you want to do. Just because someone says it is not a good idea to buy something, doesn't mean you shouldn't. Just evaluate your needs and apply theadvice given.
        Great stuff man, thanks for the info. But I realy dont mind abit of overkill, when it comes to Graphics if something better comes out & I want it, ill get it. waisting my money isnt a huge issue, I dont realy wanna overclock anything. your post has realy helped though in regards to putting my mind at ease over going AMD.

Comment

Just So Everyone Is Clear!

Great thanks guys for the ideas, any ideas as to a PSU? I realy need a good one & silent. ALso any tips on RAM, better performance for the same money or less if possible. Or just Ideas on better RAM. Over all is the system ok? anything Im missing? Any sugestions at all on any of the parts listed? Please keep in mind the $2500 is stage 1 of a 3 stage Rig build.

Stage 2 will be long term storage needs & tv tuner.

2 x Seagate Barracuda 750Gb 7200 16Mb cache SATA 2 Hard Disks

Not sure what TV tuner to get

Stage 3 is:

A 8 or 4ms 19" LCD or Widescrean 20"
          2nd 7900GTX to SLI

Stage 1 will take place in 1 week roughly
          Stage 2 in 3 weeks
          Stage 3 in 1.5 Months

Again, please note, I WILL NOT BUY INTEL!!!! so dont even bother saying so. I dont care to read another benchmark groupy tell me Conroe is better. (BTW Its actualy got a name now! dont havto use its code name anymore.) I dont care if you think Im waisting my money, its mine to waist.

Also If I had to wait for the next best Chip, Card or anything PC related object to come out b4 I buy, id be waiting forever.

Thanks

Comment

Ok let me say this 1 last time, INTEL....NO, AMD GO! for the simple ppl out there. I buy the PC tommorow so its gonna be too late anyways. Just so you all know Core Duo is more expensive here and the e6600 is $100+ more expensive then the 5000+ & they are very hard to get your hands on, Im not waiting as you can see. As for the graphics card, I have money to burn & Ill burn it well, I get a new Graphics card 2 times per year. Anyways Thanks for your posts, I'll let you all know how I go

Comment

LOL! I don't blame you. I still believe AMD has a better upgrade path, and there are alot of reports that Intel has shown their best hand and have nothing left to fight AMD with in hte near future. AMD still has the better architecture and still hasn't gone to 65nm process so they have room to grow. Besides, we all know how Intel loves to lead the masses around by their nose.

My only other advice is to get the best ram you can possibly afford. As for a power supply, do the same. OCZ GameXtreme units are excellent and offer upgradeability options in the future. Good luck and report back on the new build!
              GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
              AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
              Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
              Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
              Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
              PC P&C 500W PSU
              2TB Seagate
              Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

Hmm, with all those SATA ports that come on modern motherboads, I probably wouldn't want to get the 750GB drives. You can get four 300GB hard drives for the price of a single 750GB. Even if you have to put a controller card in the computer and get an external encloser, you end up getting a lot more space for your money. If I needed over a TB of space, I'd grab six to ten 300GB SATA drives and put them in a RAID array, either 01, 10, or 5. You still get more space for the money (yes, even in a RAID 1/01/10 array, which all have 100% price overhead) than with 750GB hard drives, and you also get better speed and reliability. The only real downside is that you may not have a case with sufficient space for hard drives.

I didn't realize how much of a premium Core 2 has over there. You're definitely better off with AM2. For me, it's pretty much get an X2 3800 and overclock if you're spending under about $700 USD or get a 6300 and overclock if you're spending more than that.

AMD does not have the better architecture though. The only thing AMD has going for it over Intel is hypertransport at this point, and Intel has shown us with Core 2 the FSB is still useful. The upgradability remains to be seen. Intel loves to switch chipsets with every new processor, but it looks like 965/975 might last for at least the first couple iterations of desktop quad-core and even DDR3, so 2007 shouldn't see any entire platform switches to upgrade a Core 2 system bought now. AM2 boards are supposed to be forwards-compatible with AM3, which is fairly impressive, and may just make AM2 that longest lasting desktop CPU platform ever.
                Last edited by Yawgm0th; 08-26-2006, 09:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X