i just cant decide on what to do

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i just cant decide on what to do

im thinking of upgradding my system but i cant decide what 3d card to use im thinking of either this xfx nvidia 7900 GT extreme for $289.-

http://www.alternate.nl/html/shop/pr...AXXN1&#tecData

or 2 of these xfx nvidia 6800xt's at $318.- for both

http://www.alternate.nl/html/shop/pr...BXX50&#tecData

or should i just keep saving for a 7900 GTX??? at $499.-

im planning to use the cards for prey, crysis and other crap like that

Re: i just cant decide on what to do

I think the best thing to do is keep saving and try to get the 7950gx2 it the newest card for nvidia and about $600, and the msi one is about $520.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...rice=&maxPrice= here is the list of all the 7950gx2

Comment

It depends on how far you are willing to modify your card. If you plan on watercooling your GPU, then the 7950 isn't a good choice as there are no waterblocks yet and with the limited space between the two cards that does not allow for a generic waterblock, so the price for a 7950 block will be very high.

If you plan on extreme mods (soldering for volt mods), then a 7900GT will be your best buy as you can overclock the GT to well over GTX speeds with a volt mod and regulator mod. Evga has the best warranty, but among the worst binning...meaning they sell their cards near their max overclocks, avoid Evga for extreme mods.

If you don't plan on any mods, then I would suggest the 7950 if you can afford it or 7900GTX, the GTX can be found on newegg for a little over $400.

Comment

None of these cards will play Crysis with all the eye candy since Crysis will rely on DX-10 and none of these cards have it. Keep saving and get a DX-10 card once they are released. If you must have a new card now, get a 7600GT or maybe an X1900GT if you can find one for cheap money. 6800XT SLI is a complete waste of money as it will probably be slower than a single 7900GT. 7900 series Nvidia cards have some fatal flaws as well that make them less than desireable. THe 7950 is a nice card without those flaws, but it is a DX-9 card so it's future is short.
        GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
        AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
        Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
        Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
        Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
        PC P&C 500W PSU
        2TB Seagate
        Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

maby with a newer version of de drivers they will support DX10 i've seen DX8 cards run DX9C for example the pos card im running atm a nvidia geforce FX 5600EP realy hate the living crap out of that card and about the water cooling on the 7950 X2 i've found a LCS that might fig a thermaltake bigwater 745 it has kinda thin tubes and the vga cooling bloks have there in and out at the side and not the top so maby and if not then i got 2 vga water cooling blocks to put on e-bay

Comment

ps about the cards on newegg i cant get them becouse i live 7 timezone's away from the us :'(

Comment

Sorry about that spawn.

Comment

DX8 cards do not support DX-9 in any way shape or form. The game software is encoded to allow DX-8 cards to run DX-9 games without hte DX-9 effects. The same thing will happen with DX-10 games. DX-9 cards will run them, but not with all the effects that need DX-10. DX8/9/10 is part of the architecture, it has nothing to do with the drivers. I wouldn't be surprised to see games to drop any support at all for DX-8 cards making all those old cards obsolete, although they can hardly play anything that comes out now anyways.
                GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
                AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
                PC P&C 500W PSU
                2TB Seagate

Comment

Yeah, I'm with Casecutter on this one. I would wait until the new stuff comes out.

What is your current system? If you have a huge gpu, you might bottleneck the rest of you system.

Comment

my current system is in one work crap

but building a new comp but about the dx 8-9 thing i my 3d card originaly came with DX8 and when microsoft released DX9 i installed it and to date it's still running could be that the driver disk was out of date

and my moms computer has a geforce 2 card which is realy old but im not shure if it's supose to run DX8 or DX9 all i know is it's running DX9 atm

Comment

The video card will not use DX9 effects. You can install DX9c on any PC with any video card. But you must have a video card that is DX9 compatible for the DX9 effects to work. Games are coded to run with DX8 and DX9. Future games will probably be coded for only DX9 and DX10 so your current DX8 card will not be able to run them. As I said, DX8/9/10 is the actual architecture of the GPU on the video card. There is no way possible for software to change that. It is part of the hardware.
                      GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
                      AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
                      PC P&C 500W PSU
                      2TB Seagate

Comment

i know it wont run it and my 3d card or the cpu is the bottleneck of my system i have 768MB of pc 133 memory (yes i know it's junk) and i cant even run NFS WM on 640x480 with all on low and if i check my memory status i still got 100-200 left so i cant wait till it's my Bday so i can axe it all and get a computer to play games on

Comment

spawn, when you say "its running DX9 on a GF2" that rally means youve installed dx9 which has dx 1 through 9 (LOL?) in it. your card will only run the highest dx its capable of.

Comment

yea found that out a lil after i posted that but i already decided what to do get one of the xfx 6800 xt's and save my money for nvidia's 8xxx series which i hope will have DX10 support and maby if i got enough a DX 10 physics card

Comment

You will also need Windows Vista for DX-10 as that will be the only Windows OS that will support DX-10.
                              GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
                              AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
                              PC P&C 500W PSU
                              2TB Seagate

Comment

Working...
                              X