5.1 speakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5.1 speakers

I don't know if TweakTown is the proper place to ask about speakers, but I don't know where else to go so..
    I'm gonna get myself some 5.1 speakers, and I've found three sets that suit my budget - Creative Inspire P5800, Logitech X-530 and Creative Inspire T6060. The Creative sets have the same performance (22 watt sub, 8 watt satellites and 18 watts center), whilst the Logitech set has slightly weaker sat's, 7.4 watt, center at 15 watts and a sub at 25 watts. The only difference between the Creative sets is that the T6060's front sat's and center speakers are two-way designs, a tweeter and a midrange driver.
    The Logitech set has a two-way driver design on all the sat's and the center.
    One question: will the sub get all messed up when it's turned up? Because I used to have a Cambridge Soundworks (creative) SW3200 2.1 speaker setup, pretty basic stuff, and whenever the bass (9 watts) was a little too high (not even a quarter) it would sound like Homer Simpson's got a stomach ache or something, really low mumbling instead of music. Is this normal for weaker subs?

As always, any help appreciated!

Re: 5.1 speakers

I know that most of the guys here know plenty about speakers, but I'll put in a little input. I would definately get the creative set. Creative Labs is great for computer speakers. Another thing: Do you have a sound card of some sort? You seem to be spending quite a bit on speakers and a sound card upgrade would definately improve your performance of your old speakers. I've got a cheap set of 5.1 and some shelf speakers with a Audigy 2 ZS Gamer and they sound great. I would highly reccommend the X-FI system. Supposedly, it is similar to the Audigy 2 ZS series. Either way, you would benefit from a sound card. I can really tell the difference between onboard and the Audigy.

Comment

I can say that the Logitech X-530's have pretty good, clean bass Even at higher volume levels. The only things I have to complain about with the X-530 set are the shorter front speaker cables, the rear speakers seem quieter at lower volumes, and at lower levels the speakers are very directional.(meaning if it's not pointing directly at you, you cant hear it properly.

Comment

Actually, I never thought about getting a better soundcard, although the X-Fi series seems pretty good. I'm using onboard audio at the moment, a Realtec ALC850 codec. Thing is, I'll be primarily using theese speakers for gaming and movies, since I've got a pretty powerful micro system connected by USB for music listening. (Philips MCM 570).
        But wouldn't I have to buy like a set of GigaWorks speakers to make full use of an X-Fi soundcard? I can't really afford both an X-Fi and a set of speakers, and the only X-Fi board I can afford is the X-Fi music...
        Last edited by ifander; 04-23-2006, 07:18 AM.

Comment

i just bought a 3000 sound system. The reciver puts out 200 watts perchanel and its 7-1. I am using 5-1 mode right now and i also bought a velodyne sub thats 2000 watts 1500 rms. and its only 8inches i have never hird a sub so loud that was so little. How can i make it sound better from my comp everything else is using optical but my comp and my comp doesnt have optical.

Comment

If your motherboard has a s/pdif out jack 9either coax or optical) then you should consider getting a better set of speakers, say Logitech Z5500s or any other set that has digital inputs. The X-FI is a piece of **** and a huge waste of money. Running a really good set of speakers off of the digital output from your motherboard will give you amazing sound. I have Z-680's and that is how I run mine off of the onboard jack. Sounds as good as my old Audigy 2 without all the extra problems associated with running a Creative sound card. PLUS, there are lots of sales on the Z-5500's and if you get them, be prepared to be blown away by the performance and sound. If you are going to get a sound card, stick the the Auzentech series cards with DLL and DTS output. Creative drivers suck and they can cause more issues than they solve. PLUS, no creative cards output true surround sound. Look for something with onboard DLL/DTS decoding and you will get true audiophile sound in 5.1.
            GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
            AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
            Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
            Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
            Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
            PC P&C 500W PSU
            2TB Seagate
            Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

I think I'll hold this for now and wait until I can afford some better speakers. Although I'll be more likely to get myself some watercooling when I eventually save enough cash to buy the z5500 speakers... I'll just wait and see. Thansk for tha help tho!

Comment

Working...
              X