Power supply questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power supply questions

I am getting random restarts and am upgrading my PSU. I dont have much cash but I dont want to cheap out too much. Here are my specs.

Athalon 64 3700+San Diego
    2gig dual channel Gskill Ram
    160gig Maxtor HD
    1DVD rom
    1cdrw drive
    1floppy
    1zip
    3 case fans
    xbox 360 controller
    Compact flash card reader
    Geforce 6800 GS factory Oced to 490mhz

current psu is 400watt 12v = 18a
    I want to get at least a 24 or 25a on the 12V

I am not currently overclocking anything. I might want to run SLI GPU's in the future. I noticed on Newegg that some PSU's support SLI and some say they dont. However, I see many reviews where people are running SLI with the PSU's that dont support it. I have never run SLI so Im not sure how that will work. Here are two of the PSU's that I have been looking at. I would like to get the Aspire one but I am kind of unsure about it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817104155
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817148012

Re: Power supply questions

Well, I run the 520W Modstream with alot of stuff and 6800GS SLI. It does it but I know I am pushing it to it's limits. I have been pushing this Modstream very hard for 1 1/2 years and it still works as new. That Aspire looks to be good but I am unsure of their quality. The OCZ has a 3 year guaranty so that is also in it's favor. I would honestly get the OCZ, but if you are trying to save money, get the Aspire and keep your fingers crossed.
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
    Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
    Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate
    Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

Yeah, I am going with the OCZ. Don't want to chance screwing anything up. So you have the same PSU and you run SLI? Why does it say it doesn;t support SLI on Newegg?

Comment

I believe for a PSU to "support SLI" it must be certified by Nvidia and/or have the video card connectors so it doesn't require adaptors. Any PSU can run SLI without problems as long as it has enough output.

Comment

As matm347 says, it does not officially support SLI. Since I am running 6800GS's, I have just enough power. DFI and Nvidia require 25A on the 12V+ rail as the minimum. If you are going for 7x00 series cards, I would recommend the 520W Powerstream. But I have to say, this PSU has been a bear and has put up with my high 24/7 overclock for over a year. It really is well build and I can easily recommend it. It does have 28A on the 12V+ and just takes whatever I throw at it.
          GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
          AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
          Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
          Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
          Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
          PC P&C 500W PSU
          2TB Seagate
          Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

hopefully it will arrive soon. I HATE UPS!!

Comment

Working...
            X